Why become a member? ×

CV necks or Mighty mite

[quote name='harlowbassplayer' post='1147954' date='Mar 3 2011, 04:27 AM']nah lol just wondering which is better lol i have heard good things about CV basses[/quote]
I've not played a CV but I dare say the rave reviews of the neck are based on comfort and feel rather than tone. :)

I love my CV necks, even the P neck that i cant play lol.

These necks have vintage style frets so for me are very fast and easy to play. I've been thinking of getting a MM neck at some point but i really cant find a fault with the CV necks. No loose, high frets, nice and smooth on the back with no lumps etc.

Tone wise im not sure if a MM (or any other neck) would make much difference, i can say that swapping the P and Jazz neck's over made no difference to the tone on either body.

Just to be different, I think necks contribute quite a lot to tone beyond just the fretboard wood- fret size/shape seems to make a fair old difference in particular. The modern, broader frets seem to have more inherent growling metallic buzz than the tiny steep vintage-style ones where the contact point with the string is smaller, and the way this responds to touch is totally different.
I think I prefer the sound of the medium jumbos although both have their place. I like the feel of the vintages though.

Having said that, the 'vintage' profile of my Jap 75RI is totally different to the 'vintage' profile of my MIM Classic 70s! The latter is far more inherently clanky and metallic, I have to dig in a lot harder on the Jap to get a similar effect.

I'd suppose the mighty mite will be medium jumbo unless you specify otherwise, but what kind of 'vintage' you get on the CVs I can't remember.

*edited to point out that no amount of setup adjustment has allowed me to replicate the differences between these basses in this respect.

Edited by LawrenceH