Why become a member? ×

Did my first gig on the NS Wav on Saturday

derrenleepoole

Well, I gigged the NS Wav for the first time on Saturday. Had the bass about three weeks and have been working through my technique, and there's nothing like a baptism of fire to get your chops in :)

The bass played really well, and once I relaxed int the gig I found moving around on the instrument relatively easy. My intonation was out in places, but I was expecting that. Tonally, the instrument was probably more electric bass that DB, but the sound is certainly softer, and the physicality of the instrument means I'm not inclined to show off :lol:

If anyone is interested, I recorded the gig and there are some sound clips here:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/fourfingerfunk/dealing-with-the-devil"]Dealing With The Devil[/url]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/fourfingerfunk/mannish-boy"]Mannish Boy[/url]

If anyone is thinking of getting one, I'd highly recommended it :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='1145413' date='Mar 1 2011, 09:19 AM']That's pretty good playing after only three weeks. Great sound. Good work.[/quote]

Cheers buddy :)

I have played upright before, but never for any real length of time. There's nothing like a baptism of fire to get your brain into gear and get your playing head on! I did get fatigue through the gig. I managed the whole first set of an hour and half of the second before switching to my jazz bass. In future, I think I'll break up the set into different instruments.

The next thing is to introduce variety into my played lines, but that will come with time. I know just enough to get me through, so the plan is to have a lesson with Steve Berry to get me pointing int he right direction. He'll spot stuff that I won't even think about.

Edited by derrenleepoole

Congrats on the WAV derren, they are great instruments for the money, i had one for a while and loved it, but hardly used it, as i played a reading gig on it(i'd only had it three weeks as well) and my intonation was well off :) i lost my bottle after that and i relly regret selling it, i'll definately get another one (probably an NXT),keep gigging that beastie!! :)

WAVs are great... I changed from my Aria EUB to a WAV last year for portability for a US trip (and yes it's true, a WAV in the gig bag goes in a long overhead locker on a 767 at least and the Continental airline staff were great with it) and I love it to bits. Best on the endpin of course but I took the boomerang strap to the US and have sort of got used to it even if the bass is a bit too close. My profile photo is from a gig in Detroit using the WAV.

The only thing I find it needs is some extra EQ and a Seymour Duncan Paranormal Bass DI does the trick nicely (if you want one you have to get it from the US as they aren't available in Europe). I take the WAV & the Bass DI to small gigs and stick it straight through the PA.

I'm looking to upgrade to an NXT sometime soon...

ficelles