Why become a member? ×

Gain through your pedal signal chain

deepbass5

What do you guys do when it comes to mixing pedals and those with attenuation switches when using you active basses? Do you set them to active or passive and where in the chain if you think this changes things.

My board = Boss OC2 - then - Boss Dynamic Wah AW-3 - then - Boss Flanger BF-3 - then - Boss Chorus CEB-3 - then - EBS Comp set to active - then - Aphex Xciter set active then into Amp

just not quite happy, I need each of these at various times in an evening, but would prefer no pedals as I feel they degrade my tone.
Any suggestions I have tried the Comp up front but feel the OC2 works best in front. Or would all the others benefit from a hotter compressed signal pushing through them My basses as below Warwick active SS1 and an 18v schack though not overly hot in output.
:)

Edited by deepbass5

My signal path is very close to yours (see mine on my sig). I use the Multicomp has a limiter preventing signal peaks but handling them like a compressor and not as a limiter - hope you understand what i'm saying - and my MC is set to active. I don't feel any signal loss in my setup but my pedals are all true-bypass... the Boss tend to eat some signal.

A easy solution: use a true-bypass looper! Do it like this:

[color="#FFFFFF"]...............................[/color]OC2-->--AW3-->--BF3-->--CEB3
[color="#FFFFFF"].................................[/color]\[color="#FFFFFF"]......................................[/color]/
[color="#FFFFFF"]...................................[/color]`---<-----LOOPER-----<----´
[color="#FFFFFF"]..................................................[/color]/[color="#FFFFFF"]......[/color]\
[color="#FFFFFF"]........................[/color]Bass-------->-------´[color="#FFFFFF"].........[/color]`------>--------EBS-->--APHEX---->----Amp

This way you can bypass the signal eaters when you're not using them.

Other solution could be to get a booster pedal and stick it after the bass, in the chain, and use it to boost the signel when needed.

Hope this helps!

edit: drawing edited!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Have re-visited by board after writing that last night, back to how i started out I think, but thats always the trouble isn't it so many tweeks you can't remember what you have tried and which was best.
Now have Compressor up front set passive and Aphex last set passive. I have come to think that the active settings are there so not to over cook the signal on the output side of the device rather than what you are plugging into it. So adding a degree of attenuation to protect down stream device ?. Any thought on that theory.
Anyway sounds good and is quiet, Will try it live this weekend thats the best test at gig volumes.
any names suggested for a Looper I may go for that

Edited by deepbass5