Why become a member? ×

Fender Am. Std. Jazz

gsgbass

I just switched over from a Roger Waters P Bass, to the Am. Std. Jazz. It sounds great, and is very playable. The Fender USA Super Bass 8250M, NPS, (.045, .065, .085, .110TW Gauges) work well with it. I like the heavier A and E strings. The Jazz neck gives me a nice edge over the P neck. No dead spots anywhere on the neck while playing either.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1133455' date='Feb 19 2011, 10:19 AM']I had one, traded it for EBMMs.

I know I'll get another, but this time definitely rosewood.

If you get a nice one, they are great basses.[/quote]
I've had a couple of J and P before this one. Rosewood and Maple. This one at least to me, looks and feels perfect. I really think I'm going to hang on to this one.

Edited by famstd

[quote name='famstd' post='1133485' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:40 PM']I've had a couple of J and P before this one. Rosewood and Maple. This one at least to me, looks and feels perfect. I really think I'm going to hang on to this one.

[/quote]

That looks great! Oly White with tort and maple board is an unbeatable combo.

I had this same model - lovely bass indeed. Sold it tho as my Am Std Jazz 5 in Oly White does most of everything I need. And.....I'm waiting on my uberjazz to come back to me in Oly White after being a natural looking mahogany with a rosewood cap bass for the last ten years. The neck is from a 1995 Squier and is to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for - skinnier than the Am Std -just feels too sweet in my hands. It's actually paining me to be away from it for now.

Anyway - sorry for the derail and turning this into a J-Bass LoveFest.

And welcome to BassChat!!!!

Edited by Gareth Hughes

I spoke to a few players who were able to try out the new Fender American Specials. They thought they were ok as an upgraded Highway One. But they said for the difference in money, they thought the American Standard was the way to go. They mentioned the Am. Spl. as heavy and not as finished as they thought they should have been.