Why become a member? ×

what should the string spacing be on a 3/4 scale bass

Mod_Machine

String spacing on an existing instrument is dictated by the width of the neck.

You want the distance between the edge of the neck and the centre of the E and G strings to be between 3 and 5 mm depending on taste and ideally remain the same distance from the edge all the way down the neck. The A and D strings then fall at equal spacing between these two.

When I bought a '71 musicmaster, some numpty had put a standard Fender BBOT bridge on so the E & G were pretty much running along the edge of the neck with mms to spare. I managed to get hold of the correct bridge so its much better now. So yes, it depends on the neck - whatever looks right. If the pickup has pole pieces you could also use those as a guide.

Measured at the heel of the neck its coming in at 56mm, where the strings come out of the mock bridge cover thingy also 56mm which equates to 18mm spacing MAX (total 54mm span)

Every bridge ive looked at has 20mm spacing and a few have 19mm spacing (57mm span)

Except for B14 in the following link which has 18mm spacing, and also the height needed to clear the bridge pick up.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-String-Chrome-Bass-guitar-Bridge-B10-B13-or-B14_W0QQitemZ140307803644QQcategoryZ42455QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7171217838612113007"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-String-Chrome-Bass...217838612113007[/url]

Need to call the co. though as i cant see how the intonation can be set unless the cradles are manualy moved by hand rather than by a spring system!

Good thing about the roller bridge fitted was that last night i measured up where the bridge should be based on neck length, and then spent an age rolling the strings out to exactly 18mm spaces between each, then tightened up to full tuning and had a good few measures down the neck.

Although its starts at the top with a 4.5mm space either side of the E/G sting to the edge of the neck, by time it gets to the 21st and final fret that has reduced to just under 2.5mm either side of the E/G. Not perfect but its something i can live with, and will have to learn to if i want it play it! Perhaps a new nut in future will help to even it out slightly.

The problem this now presents is that although the strings pass perfectly over the neck pick ups 'poles' the bridge pick up seems to have been fitted a couple of mm to one side of centre at factory. This coupled with the strings still fanning out to meet the outer string cradles means the E now misses its pole considerably which presents a noticable drop in volume on that string when using that pickup only.

A new bridge it definately is....meaning a new pick up aswell. Im thinking a Jazz bass copy with the 8 poles which will then give me a constant tone and still be hidden by the string/pick guard so not be too out of place with the asthetics. Im sad that so much of the original character is getting lost but it is turning it into something much more unique and still cheaper than buying a competition mustang or other preferable 3/4 scale. (the jedson is already far superior to the epiphone EBs and though the jet king is lush its just too big and im getting pretty bad cramp.

I cant imagine some of the cheaper j bass pickups can be any worse than the ones currently (factory) fitted but if you know of any good value brands worth having a gander at please let me know!

Edited by Mod_Machine