Why become a member? ×

NOW SOLD - Rickenbacker 4003 MG (2001)

hiram.k.hackenbacker

I am reluctantly selling my lovely Rickenbacker 4003 finished in Maple Glo. It was born in February 2001.

Apart from the till receipt, it comes with everything it was sold with including the hang tag, the original Rickenbacker cloth, allen keys, two case keys, the Rickenbacker Care & Maintenance Manual and the original Rickenbacker hardshell case. Also shown are the strings the 4003 is currently strung with, that being 45-105 Rickenbacker flatwounds which have had almost zero use.

This bass was professionally set up in 2010 when I purchased it and it was restrung with the new flatwounds. I'm not sure the strings actually needed replacing, but every bass I buy gets the same treatment, whether it needs it or not.

As for provenance, the previous owner bought it from new whilst in the USA but gave up playing soon afterwards. Since then, it was stored until I purchased it. The frets have hardly any wear at all.

Although I am very particular regarding my basses, none of them are perfect. This 4003 is no exception.

It has a few [u]very[/u] small imperfections in the laquer on the body which were present when I purchased it. They are invisible unless you sit down in good light and hunt for them. I am being hypercritical here as I want any prospective buyer to be aware before purchase, as was I. There are no issues anywhere else on the instrument.

The intonation on this 4003 is superb; certainly the best of any of the basses I have at this time. I would also like to say in it's favour that it sounds absolutely badass, plays as fast as a racing snake and looks killer.

Price: £1295. Sorry, but I'm not looking for any trades.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

Please note that due to the use of flash in the photo in the first post, the tone of the Maple Glo looks slightly washed out towards the upper horn. I can assure you that this is not the case in reality and that the Maple Glo is uniformally gorgeous. The richness of the maple is nearer to the colour shown just above the bridge. Here is a shot of the back. Other photos to follow.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...