Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass String through or not?

4 Strings

Looking at a standard (dot marker) US Fender Jazz bass, purporting to be from the 80s.

Its not a string through body, I thought all but certain models were, only the Mex or other 'specials' were top loaders.

Also, are Fender scratchplates always chamfered? (Would a standard white one be single ply?)

Lastly, its seems to have one serial digit short on an otherwise perfect headstock.

Can anyone help?

Be very grateful.

Many thanks

Edited by 4 Strings

I don't know when they changed to string-through but older jazzers definitely aren't - hence all the reissues don't have it! At least the early 80s jazz basses also often had natty one-piece single ply pickguard/bell plates together with strat-style knobs. Some of them also had dots and binding, with 70s pickup spacing. It's all a bit jumbled around then.

Thanks Lawrence, that helps with the string through and the pickguard. My recent Google trawls have shown the string through thing to be ok too (shame though!)

Anyone know of a net resource for Jazzes (like [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org)"]http://www.musicmanbass.org)[/url] which has these sorts of details?

Thanks, unfortunately it has just become big (for me) money and so I've had to walk away anyway. 'Tis a rare finish but the unusual pickguard and serial made me do a bit of research but all checked out ok (I know quite a bit more now!). Its rather knocked around and so I expected it to go for a lower price. Shame, horrible when you set your heart on things like that!

(the eighties has no magic pull for me, only that the basses made then might be a bit cheaper!)

I'll send a link once its gone