Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* K&K Double Bass MAX Pickup *SOLD*

Hey Folks -

Up for sale is my K&K Double Bass Max pickup and Dual Channel Pro St Preamp, plus a few associated goodies. The Double Bass Max is not to be confused with the Double Big Twin by K&K. This Double Bass Max pickup is a custom order from K&K with each pickup able to run independently from each other, or together without any phasing problems. Here's some info from Bob Gollihur's website:

[i]The Bass Max is my most popular pickup, and rightfully so. It sounds great, with a full range response and is especially good for situations where you'd need to temporarily mount or switch the pickup between basses (a 30 second job).

Compared to the Double Big Twin, the Bass Max is very clean, with the string sounds not quite as "defined" -- and that's not a bad thing, but a different one -- it is still crystal clear, just not as 'stringy.' This pickup also has the same warmth, and that is generally unusual for piezos. It also has a smoother arco response than the DBT -- more bridge than string sound, since there is more wood between it and where the strings meet the bridge. Electric bassists could draw the comparison of a bridge pickup as opposed one placed at a midpoint (not the neck position). However, unlike some other pickups, it is not muddy or dark, and produces plenty of highs -- you can get some hand, string, and slapping sounds, too, unless you eq them out.[/i]

And here's some info about the preamp:

[i]Dual Channel Pro features the same specs as the Dual Channel PRO Preamp, but features a stereo input and specialized dual outputs. As with the standard Dual Channel PRO preamp, you can use the input for two piezo pickups, mics, or magnetic pickups; however, it has a single, stereo (TRS) ¼" input jack. Like the other, it features external volume controls for each channel, along with individual internal treble, midrange, bass, and gain trim controls for each channel for fine-tuning. Another difference is in the unique output jack options: the main output alone delivers the blended signal - but if you also plug into the second ¼" output, it automatically re-routes each input individually to those two individual outputs, so you can send each pickup to separate amps (or board channels).Extremely compact, approx. 4 3/8 x 3 3/8 x 1.5 inches. 

K&K Sound preamps are full-range, and suitable for use with any pickup. Due to their 1 megohm input impedance, they are ideal for piezo-based and magnetic pickups. Yup, I've been known to use my Pure Preamp with my old '71 Fender Precision fretless bass, for that "active" sound without making nasty new holes in that sweet old bass.[/i]

Also included in the sale is a power supply made specifically for the preamp. More info:

[i]We've had many requests for AC adaptors for the 9 volt battery K&K preamps, and are very happy to announce that K&K Sound has begun producing one. Using an off-the-shelf AC adaptor can be problematic as few have sufficient noise filtering, so you can end up introducing 60hz hum and other noises into the signal.

This new unit delivers 10.5-12 volts, which can enhance the headroom, clarity, and noise levels according to K&K Sound Systems. [/i]

And finally -CABLES!! Included is a 15ft TRS cable, a Planet Waves splitter cable (if you wanted to send each pickup to two different sources) and a combiner cable so that you can send two different instruments into the preamp.

To buy new cost $393 including shipping plus import duty (the adapater cables are freebies). Converted to Sterling that's £245 plus import duty, bringing it to nearly £300. BUT - I'm selling the lot for £150 plus £10 posted within the UK.

Here's the new costs: Pickup $180 Preamp $124 Power Supply $32 TRS Cable $22

(The red tape around the pickup is only there to identify which side of the pickup is which)

[attachment=71900:Pickup_3.jpg] [attachment=71901:Preamp.jpg] [attachment=71902:TRS_Cable.jpg] [attachment=71903:Adapter_Cables.jpg]

Edited by Gareth Hughes