Why become a member? ×

Octave picking

owen_87

Whilst playing some octaves the other day a friend pointed out that I do it the wrong way round. I use an upstroke on the low note and a downstroke on the high note. He reckoned it should be the other way round. Is there a "correct" way or is it a case of whatever is comfortable?

I'm assuming you're using a pick?
It doesn't make a lot of difference really. I've done it both ways,but generally try to play the lower octave with a downstroke and the higher
with an upstroke-it's more about economy of motion than anything else.

Yeah meant to say with a pick. I've never really thought about it until he brought it up but it makes sense to me to play the low note up and the high note down because your hand is in the middle, if that makes sense. That said, the low note is normally on the beat so it would probably be better to play down on the beat. Or maybe I am over complicating a simple issue :)

When playing straight octaves (low to high) I think most players would find it easier playing down - up.
However, when I first started playing (we were still living in caves) I used a pick, and I figured (or I read) it must be better to learn exercises, scales, modes, phrases etc both ways, ie. starting with down-stroke and then the same starting with up-stroke. I've pretty much stuck with that idea ever since. Even when I started playing finger style, I would start with the first finger and then reverse the fingering.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='owen_87' post='1123930' date='Feb 11 2011, 03:22 PM']Yeah meant to say with a pick. I've never really thought about it until he brought it up but it makes sense to me to play the low note up and the high note down because your hand is in the middle, if that makes sense. That said, the low note is normally on the beat so it would probably be better to play down on the beat. Or maybe I am over complicating a simple issue :)[/quote]

I think that's over complicating it a little :)

The only reason I play the lower note with a downstroke,is so that I can keep a pretty consistent down/up motion.
Although there are times when I may change or use all upstrokes or all downstrokes,if I'm playing at speed,I always alternate
like I said.
I should add that I only use a pick occasionally.