Why become a member? ×

Squire P special with Jazz bridge pup

The Fly

I recently got a squire p bass special with a jazz pickup at the bridge.
Lovely guitar and well worth the £100 I paid for it second hand.

My main intention was to have it as a spare to my Peavey Grind.
However I may be in a circumstance soon where I need to use both in a gigging environment and swap between the two.

Trouble is the output from the P bass is no where near as powerfull as the Peavey.
I know I could uae a A/B pedal and set greater outpu for the P. But I think a pickup change would do a better job

So in a nutshell what replacement pups would you recommend to bring the squier upto a more usable level.

Has to be reasonable price as I am wallet challenged at the minute.

Can't offer any personal recs re PU's, mostly people who swap them out go for pretty high end replacements to justify doing it at all. These types of threads come up often and Wizzard seem to get good reviews from others on here. Then there are things like Fralin but they would probably be out for a limited budget. How about Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio?
I also picked up a Squire P special last year and thought the PU's were a bit low output too, They sound OK through a decent rig but I understand the potential problem if it wasn't the only bass being gigged on the night. I'd also like to hear others suggestions as I might upgrade mine at some point, think it was very good value (£190 delivered, brand new).

Edited by KevB

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1120436' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:53 AM']Get an MXR-80+ & use it as an outboard pre.

G.[/quote]

Yeah - the M80 is tops - and if I were to change out the J p'up on a Special, I think I'd really consider trying to find an OE J for the VM-Jaguar.

I've said it b4, but the p'ups on the VM-Jag are seriously hot. In fact, if you can find both of the Jag p'ups, you'll be very happy with the results.

I can get olde school all the way from Motown to serious spine tingle out of them.