Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you guys think of my plan?

TDM

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='128402' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:42 PM']Without all that hassle...why dont you just buy that one you want to make..it's already made.. :) (last photo) of course change the BA and Audere :huh:[/quote]

Thats a picture I found on Talkbass, the guy put it together with a fretless 5 string jazz and a new neck.

SX don't seem to make 5 string jazzes in that combination, which is strange since they sell the 5 string necks on their site as replacement parts, as well as that Rosewood boarded jazz as well.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='128401' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:41 PM']What do you mean?

I'm not just buying the body, i'm buying a 5 string jazz and replacing the neck. So I'll have a bridge, tuners, pickups etc. Which I will probably add an Audere to later.[/quote]

I mean just that!

So you are using Fender or SX stock parts (you don't say what brand/model the top pic bass is), I would advise against using SX parts.

What about pots and jack socket, which Audere pre are you going for?

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='128406' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:47 PM']I mean just that!

So you are using Fender or SX stock parts (you don't say what brand/model the top pic bass is), I would advise against using SX parts.

What about pots and jack socket, which Audere pre are you going for?[/quote]

I was thinking of just using the SX parts for the time being, I will probably shield it straight away, but the tuners, bridge and pickups will stay. I will probably fund some of the hardware changes by selling off the spare rosewood neck I end up with.

Dunno about the audere yet, it seems like a big investment for a cheap bass, seeing as the bass all together will only be $200.

Exactly, for me the Audere is a final refinement of a very well finished bass... imo it should be the very last thing you add. Which is why I tried to mentioned replaceing the pots, expecting you to say "but I want an audere".

So I suggest putting the cost of that pre toward making it a very good passive bass, if you buy parts second hand you can always resell if you want to try the that sound.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='128426' date='Jan 26 2008, 08:25 PM']And I say 'go for it!"[/quote]

Me too - but I don't like the standard tuners - Hipshots rule!!

I've recently compared standard jazzes with and without a Gotoh bridge and found very little difference, maybe slightly more sustain, but the difference is not blatantly obvious. But for £20, I'd still change the bridge :) TBH the fretboard made more of a difference soundwise...

The standard pickups on the 4s are fantastic - loads of balls (when swapping from my SX to my Fender P, I was always thinking I must have turned the volume down!!)

Edited by Jamesemt