Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Jackson Kelly Explorer w. fitted hardcase

Gust0o

Quick edit: am more than happy to post!

All, this is my Jackson KBX Kelly Explorer:

I'm chasing the full specifications, but this is the KBX1, I understand - with Duncan Designed® humbuckers and the
Duncan Designed® BEQ3 Preamp for Master Volume/Blend/Bass/Middle/ Treble and Slap Switch (Mid Scoop/High Frequency Boost).

I'll confirm neck scale tonight, but it's a long neck - with things kept tight by through-body stringing. The neck, for those unfamiliar with Jacksons/Charvels, is very Jazz-like - it's slim and fast, with good access.

There is no seperate battery cavity - instead, it sits in a recess alongside the electronics. It does suffer from some neck dive, additionally, but this is easily compensated for.

This will go with it's fitted hardcase, which is in great nick - and, frankly, is worth it's weight in gold. I doubt you'll find many hardcases for these.

I'll try and dig out the full manufacturers specs after work. I'll get some additional shots of the bass and case.

Asking £350 cash or equivalent trades - still after a decent P or Jazz, 4-string, with cash either way. BC Riches always considered, as my signature would suggest :)

However, the shape will be marmite, so I'm a little more open to offers. The case itself is worth it's weight in gold, as you're unlikely to find another fitted case for this shape. However, I can break the price up and give you one for just the bass itself.

Based in North Yorks. Collection prefered, and I do a mean cuppa for those wishing to try :)

Edited by Gust0o

The most obvious comparison is the Thunderbird, as the twin humbuckers give it that essential rock punch. The Thunderbird does have a tendency to turn to mud, however, which is avoided here - the active pre-amp gives you some more options, and I was pleasantly surprised with the range. It can go from bright to dirty very quickly. We've been playing a lot of Motley Crue covers, of late, and it's done Nikki proud to my mind.

The neck is very refined - very Jazz-like, in the way that Jacksons and Charvels so often are. This is closer to the Jazz standard than my Charvel 575, however, making it a very easy player. The neck is very long, so the combination works well.

I'm sort of tempted, but its the complexity of the controls thats bugging me (aesthetically as well as potential for knocking during gig etc), NOT the lovely shape.
I occasionally play a Westone Raider live, so pointy ain't a problem. If it had one switch and 2 knobs... :)

Have a free bump anyway!

Edited by robocorpse

No worries dougie. I imagine this may be here a couple of weeks, yet.

There have been a few sniffs on this, including one lad from the States who must have found it on Google - he only wanted the case, mind, as they're rarer than hen's teeth :)

I didn't fancy shipping an empty case, mind :)

Serial:

Through-body stringing and rear of the body:

The action:

I've made no adjustments. The neck is as you'd expect. Action very low near the headstock, with no buzz - rising as you move up the notes. I've made no adjustments from the settings of the previous owner, but it wouldn't take you more than five minutes to lower or raise it to your liking :)

The only minor damage is to the uppermost point, and is paint damage - understandable, perhaps, as it projects so far! The headstock also has a ding in the point, visible above. The bass does have some buckle rash to the rear, but is otherwise in very good condition.

• 1 year later...