Why become a member? ×

Pickup Placement

untune

Hi all,

Currently designing a body to be custom made. Going to basically be a jazz shape, but i prefer the P/humbucker sound. So it'll have a single HB pickup where the P would be. Can anybody tell me the measurements for the placement of the mid/neck pickup on a jazz and the same for a precision?

I suppose best measurement is from 12th fret to the pickup centre? Or maybe from the bridge?

Cheers

[quote]Can anybody tell me the measurements for the placement of the mid/neck pickup on a jazz and the same for a precision?
I suppose best measurement is from 12th fret to the pickup centre? Or maybe from the bridge?[/quote]

Just measured mine which are as follows:

Precision pickup
- from 12th fret to pickup centreline (where pickup splits) is 294mm
- from end of standard 20 fret neck to pickup centreline (where pickup splits) is 122mm

Jazz neck pickup
- from 12th fret to pickup centreline is 276mm
- from end of standard 20 fret neck to pickup centreline is 104mm

Jazz bridge pickup
- from 12th fret to pickup centreline is 368mm
- from end of standard 20 fret neck to pickup centreline is 195mm

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1105362' date='Jan 27 2011, 06:15 PM']My Precisons are the same measurement as quoted by ikay.[/quote]

If Ikay's taken the jazz measurement from his '72 then the bridge pickup placement will differ from a 'regular' non-70s one. Afraid I'm not at home to check on mine but this question has been asked before on a thread here relatively recently. There is a subtle but definitely audible difference between the two alternative pickup placements.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1105445' date='Jan 27 2011, 07:19 PM']If Ikay's taken the jazz measurement from his '72 then the bridge pickup placement will differ from a 'regular' non-70s one. Afraid I'm not at home to check on mine but this question has been asked before on a thread here relatively recently. There is a subtle but definitely audible difference between the two alternative pickup placements.[/quote]

Cheers, I couldn't find any other info, despite searching.

The bridge pickup will be absent on my design, hence I was curious of the location of the mid pickup... and the P is a mid location also so I was curious about differences between the two

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1105445' date='Jan 27 2011, 07:19 PM']If Ikay's taken the jazz measurement from his '72 then the bridge pickup placement will differ from a 'regular' non-70s one.[/quote]

No, taken from a Squier VMJ which has same pup spacing as a 'regular' jazz. Same length neck as well (20 fret) so measurement should all be fine.

• 2 months later...