Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California Pm5

Charla

[quote name='Charla' post='1098677' date='Jan 22 2011, 02:40 PM']I'm not electrically minded and I need a centre indented tone pot for my Sandberg: what do I need and where can I get one?[/quote]

You're probably not going to find centre indented pots in your local Maplin type shops but they are pretty easily available from online retailers.

There are a couple of bits of information that are needed to be able to order the right one though.

1) What model of bass is it?

2) How many wires are going to the pot you want to change?

3) What value is the pot?
On the back or side of the pot there will be some numbers - they'll look something like '250KA' or '250KΩ A'.

4) What physical size and shape is it?
Pots come in lots of shapes and sizes - is it round or square and what sort of diameter is the main body of the pot?
(no point trying to fit a 1" diameter pot into a space that'll only accomodate a 1/2" diameter pot)

5) Is the pot mounted on a scratchplate or through the body of the bass?
(pots come with short or long shafts - too short and you'll not be able to do the nut up, too long and the tone control will sit proud of the other controls).

6) The shaft that the control knob fits to - is it a 'notched' metal shaft with a split down it's centre or a plain round shaft?
(important if you want the original control knob to fit back on properly).

Let us know the above (or post some pics of the interior of your bass) and we'll be able to point you at exactly the right pot first time :)