Why become a member? ×

Please Help Me If You Own A Boss Syb-5 Synth Pedal...

djhollowman

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me here please.
A customer asked me if I could try to finish a project he had started but had gotten a bit lost with.
He wants to incorporate the guts of a BOSS SYB-5 pedal into his bass, behind the pickguard. As he'd already dismantled the pedal, I need help in tracing where the wires went before it was taken to bits.
So, would anyone who owns one of these pedals be prepared to open the back up and describe to me which colour(s) of wire go where?? I'm particularly interested in the wiring to and from the switch, and the wiring to and from the Output A socket.
Really appreciate anything helpful here fellas!
Many thanks,
DJ

[quote name='djhollowman' post='1097877' date='Jan 21 2011, 05:59 PM']Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me here please.
A customer asked me if I could try to finish a project he had started but had gotten a bit lost with.
He wants to incorporate the guts of a BOSS SYB-5 pedal into his bass, behind the pickguard. As he'd already dismantled the pedal, I need help in tracing where the wires went before it was taken to bits.
So, would anyone who owns one of these pedals be prepared to open the back up and describe to me which colour(s) of wire go where?? I'm particularly interested in the wiring to and from the switch, and the wiring to and from the Output A socket.
Really appreciate anything helpful here fellas!
Many thanks,
DJ[/quote]

hey i have one but cant find a screwdriver. if i can find one tomorrow ill take some pics and send em on. is there no wiring diagram somewhere? just a thought

[quote name='Cybergimp109' post='1100325' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:04 AM']hey i have one but cant find a screwdriver. if i can find one tomorrow ill take some pics and send em on. is there no wiring diagram somewhere? just a thought[/quote]
Hi, that would be most helpful, thank you very much!
I have looked for a diagram or a schematic, but have not found one yet.
DJ

fire away with any Q's..

[attachment=69978:P1000731.JPG]
[attachment=69976:P1000733.JPG]
[attachment=69975:P1000732.JPG]

OUTPUT A - white wire
INPUT - brown and longer black to board, also shorter black to FS
FOOTSWITCH - purple & longer green to board, shorter black to INPUT red to board

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1102541' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:48 PM']fire away with any Q's..

[attachment=69978:P1000731.JPG]
[attachment=69976:P1000733.JPG]
[attachment=69975:P1000732.JPG]

OUTPUT A - white wire
INPUT - brown and longer black to board, also shorter black to FS
FOOTSWITCH - purple & longer green to board, shorter black to INPUT red to board[/quote]

That is SO helpful, thank you VERY much man!!
I will likely have a question or 2 yet, but I'll get onto wiring this tomorrow and see what happens!
Thanks again,
DJ

[quote name='djhollowman' post='1102605' date='Jan 25 2011, 07:21 PM']That is SO helpful, thank you VERY much man!!
I will likely have a question or 2 yet, but I'll get onto wiring this tomorrow and see what happens!
Thanks again,
DJ[/quote]
no probs..

although this pedal is capable of some fantastic sounds, i think it needs an expression pedal to get the best out of it.

so maybe think about building in the exp input to the guitar aswell ! (if you hadn't already), these are the blue and yellow cables in the pics.

Top stuff, thank you again for these photos! Any chance you could post some of the sockets and switch and their respective wiring as well please?
That would be fantastic, thank you!
DJ

BTW - I'll certainly ask the customer if he fancies an extra socket for the exp pedal, cos now would be the best time to do it eh?

[quote name='djhollowman' post='1102836' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:45 PM']Top stuff, thank you again for these photos! Any chance you could post some of the sockets and switch and their respective wiring as well please?
That would be fantastic, thank you!
DJ

BTW - I'll certainly ask the customer if he fancies an extra socket for the exp pedal, cos now would be the best time to do it eh?[/quote]
it is very difficult to get photos inside the upper casing. i have no camera skills.

give me a coupla days..

i'm now really interested in what you can do with this, as my syb-5 is currently redundant.

many other people have bought this pedal on the strength of the demo, but have been left disappointed by the resulting tracking / latency issues.

if you can do something interesting with this project, i want to know..

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1102945' date='Jan 25 2011, 10:49 PM']it is very difficult to get photos inside the upper casing. i have no camera skills.

give me a coupla days..

i'm now really interested in what you can do with this, as my syb-5 is currently redundant.

many other people have bought this pedal on the strength of the demo, but have been left disappointed by the resulting tracking / latency issues.

if you can do something interesting with this project, i want to know..[/quote]
The black wire which runs between the switch and the input socket, where does it join the switch? Does the switch have 2 terminals, one with a purple wire and one with a green? If so, where does the black wire fit in?
Thank you!
DJ

[quote name='djhollowman' post='1104834' date='Jan 27 2011, 10:49 AM']The black wire which runs between the switch and the input socket, where does it join the switch? Does the switch have 2 terminals, one with a purple wire and one with a green? If so, where does the black wire fit in?
Thank you!
DJ[/quote]
ha ! my bad...

the black and red are not connected to the FS. they are the wires to the 9v battery terminal (housed within the FS enclosure).

sorry for the confusion..

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1105265' date='Jan 27 2011, 05:07 PM']ha ! my bad...

the black and red are not connected to the FS. they are the wires to the 9v battery terminal (housed within the FS enclosure).

sorry for the confusion..[/quote]
No, no, I realise that the battery has black and red terminals, but does the switch ONLY have 1 x green and 1 x purple wire? Are there only 2 connectors on the switch?
Thanks again,
DJ

(BTW - in another BOSS pedal I took apart to refer to, there IS a black wire which goes from the input socket to the switch!)

[quote name='djhollowman' post='1105396' date='Jan 27 2011, 06:40 PM']No, no, I realise that the battery has black and red terminals, but does the switch ONLY have 1 x green and 1 x purple wire? Are there only 2 connectors on the switch?
Thanks again,
DJ

(BTW - in another BOSS pedal I took apart to refer to, there IS a black wire which goes from the input socket to the switch!)[/quote]
yes, only green and purple to switch.

Edited by phil.i.stein