Why become a member? ×

Frankenstein 2x12

Mykesbass

I posted pictures of this cab a short while ago to see if I could get it identified. Despite a little bit of excitement when it was suggested it may have been an old Matamp I had it on fairly good authority from two vintage amp dealers that it wasn't - mainly due to a lot of chipboard in the construction.

So, now knowing it wasn't particularly valuable, I stripped out the old Goodmans Audiom speakers - sold those back on Ebay so am already in profit! Put new handles and a speakon input on and wired in a Peavey Black Widow and an Eminence Basslite speaker.

I have ordered a port but it hasn't turned up.

Now having read a lot of the science that goes into cab making I'm not expecting much, but it has cost me next to nothing to do, the bits will always come in handy if it doesn't work, but if it does, I'll have a nice retro looking cab to match my own roadworn look (not quite a relic yet) and my new retro band.

So far, it sounded great in the kitchen - very full and warm, but the big test will be on Saturday where I'll try it out BEFORE my gig starts.

[attachment=69604:2x12_front.JPG]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1097824' date='Jan 21 2011, 05:17 PM']There was a period where Matamp used chipboard in cabs, but it was more recent than that cab, I think.[/quote]

This was from Mel at Amps n Bits in Worthing - I also had Paul Goodhand Tait who I vaguely know through a friend look at it and he was sure it was just a cheapie:

"The cab looks like a late 70's CustomSound, FAL or SAI cab or similar to me? But I would go for Customsound in which case The Grill cloth and metal corners are probably original.

I can see from the pictures that, It's made out of Chipboard/Particle Board with a Ply baffle. I would say 101% Not an early Mat Mathias cab. I would also say that the Goodmans speakers are not original to the cab also the white speaker cable is not original. I would say that the cab almost certainly, originally had a Pair of Fane's in with Black and Red speaker cable, having taken a look at your pictures again I would put money on it that the cab is a late 70's Customsound cab."

Still, it looks good, and at the moment, sounds good so for £20 I'm happy!