Why become a member? ×

I Got A Fender 24 On Loan.. A Review..

bubinga5

Ok ive had a Fender Jazz 24 fret 4 string lent to me for 6 months. i had one of these and it was my second only bass. ive had it for two weeks now.. there are lots of people who now this bass and have played one, but for those who dont, i thought i would do a review.

Features..

Tobacco burst body, it is undersized from a normal jazz body, the lower horn is cut further into the body to let your hands get better access to the 24 frets.. Quilted maple top thats nice.. Rosewood fingerboard, with a a maple neck..truss rod adjustment is from the top of neck, which i hate. i much prefer the MM truss wheel or my Modulus top neck allen key.... high gloss body with silver Fender logo and gloss headstock..HipShot Light tuners.. Heavy duty bridge...chrome hardware all round..

Bass Line pups, Active Fender preamp with passive switching, with a erm..slap switch? seems to add a little highs and mid... volume(with pull/push active passive switching), mid, pickup blend ,stack knob for bass and treble..

Action fit and finish...

Cant complain, Light, about 8.3, well balanced, looks fabulous..there is not a mark on it.. frets are well dressed..There is a slight gap on the bottom of the neck pocket.. but i dont really care about this.. im big believer that a good bolted neck takes care of wood to wood response.. as i said i love the headstock that is laquer coating the silver Fender logo.. i believe the Zone bass was the first to have this.. Korean basses are well known to be of a high standard.. there are exceptions of course but not with this one... action is good but no Modulus or Sadowsky.. but of a bass less than half the value its up there.. a well made bass in all areas..

Sound...

Active....My word...Very good..Typical Jazz growl (strings buzzing when you pul off the frets) thats growl to me.. The Seymour Duncan single coils are noisless, and are great.. better run with the active curcuit.....The preamp amp is typical (imo) non sophisticated Fender.. its good though, through a good amp...

Fingerstyle tone is sooo good EQ'ed right (IMO).. im playing this through an Aguilar Head and Cab.. but im thinking this bass would cut through with most potent setups.... Across the flat EQ range, this jazz is balanced.. the low,s mids and highs are there naturally.. and everything in between are within thy grasp.. i love a low mid gospel tone now and again and this bass does it..

Passive... Like i said the pups are ok, much more raw in passive.. bar non this is this the best Jaco honk of all the jazz basses ive played.. on there own there a little harsh but in the mix they are killer...

Playability...

I cant get on with the length of the neck..although its a 34 scale, it seems a stretch to me.. and i dont like the lower horn being cut in on the deluxe USA jazzers, this seems to be the same shape but without the pickguard.. still seems like a squat jazz shape to me.... but im used to a normal full sized Fender or my Modulus.. Ignoring that its such a comfortable bass...like i said it has a smaller jazz body, and it feels like it.. the nut width is bigger than a 75 reissue.. comfortable but not a skinny jazz neck.. gloss also.. ignoring that,.. i feel at home...

overall rating..

For the money. especially second hand, these are superb basses.. i wouldnt buy one because of the ergonomics.. im to used to a 20/21 fret bass... i think this is one of the best basses Fender.. erm..used to sell. full price (you can get em new) there are better but get a used one you will love it..

Edited by bubinga5