Why become a member? ×

stringing my MIA jazz with flats

artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='125327' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:44 AM']hi chaps,just ordered a set of Thomastik jazz flats for my jazz bass & i just wondered should i use through the body stringing or good old bridge tail stylee.
will it make any difference which way i do it ?
thanks guys. :)[/quote]

Hello mate
Depends what you're after - greater sustain or attack perhaps - but I'd generally go from the bridge as opposed to through-body with flats as some flats tend to unwind a little if the angle is too steep at the saddle. I doubt you'd really notice a huge amount of difference sound-wise anyway, TI's have sounded pretty much the same from a Badass or from a Fender bridge in my experience (bloody lovely either way). You might get a slightly stiffer string strung through but then you'd be off-setting one of the great characteristics of TIs, their flexibility.
Chris

thanks for that Chris,much appreciated.i half thought that would be the case but wanted to check-can't afford to bugger up a set at that price.
can't wait to here 'em-i just hope i like 'em.

i just put of rotosound jazz flats on my 'vette fretless & i like them so here's hoping.

cheers mate