Why become a member? ×

Wizzy 10 with contra ex

marvin spangles

Hi
Wondering if combining the Wizzy with a contra ex would supply the missing lows .
I have a contra ex but am considering the following lightweight options
EA doubler with Ten2 ex
or
EA doubler with Wizzy
Obviously seduced with the lightness of the Wizzy. So do I keep the contra ex and go with the wizzy or sell the contra ex and go with the ten2 ex.
Any opinions

that's the one. using a Schatten RB1 at the mo, straight into a Mark Bass Mini CMD 121, i use the Bergantino as an extra cab.

i did have an EA Doubler into the Berg for a while but i thought the Doubler was underpowered. i even had two AE 112's at one time and even at 4 ohms it was quiet with the Doubler on full

I am using an Acoustic Image amp Bergantino EX112ER with an Eminence double bass. I sometime use a Summit preamp too. I went to Bass Direct with the intention of buying an AE112, but the EX was enough of an improvement for me to accept the extra weight. The AE112 was good enough though. I also use the same set up for electric bass. I've had the amp for around 3 years and the cab for two. I previously used the amp with a mix of Ashdown and Wizzy cabs, a Sansamp pedal and a Fender Bassman amp. I've not looked back.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ten2...but not heard one yet. I recently moved to a EA Micro and Barefaced Midget - very happy with the results for both plank and EUB. I previously used a EA500 with a single or pair of CXL110s. The new set up almost matches the performance of both CXL110 used together...but weighs about a third.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1090836' date='Jan 15 2011, 08:25 PM']I've heard a lot of good things about the Ten2...but not heard one yet. I recently moved to a EA Micro and Barefaced Midget - very happy with the results for both plank and EUB. I previously used a EA500 with a single or pair of CXL110s. The new set up almost matches the performance of both CXL110 used together...but weighs about a third.[/quote]
Hi Bass Bod
I have to confess I have never heard of the Barefaced Midget. Just googled it ...impressive claims. So how do they perform for Double bass in the real world?

I've only used it with my Clifton EUB to date (realist pickup...pretty dark sound) but it works very well. Much bigger sound than a GK MB combo. I've also used it a lot with a Jazz bass fitted with black nylon flats and bridge mutes, which is about as close as a plank can get to a double. Very good indeed - articulate seems a good description.

The light weight is wonderful, and it is small for a 1x12. Looks a bit homemade, but seems durable enough with Roqsolid cover (not supplied). It did sound a bit "tight" or stiff at first, but I noticed more low end after a week or two...I'm guessing the speaker broke in. I like the lack of tweeter, as I can't hear any amp hiss.

Only one caution - it distorted straight out of the box and had to be returned. Problem seemed to be poor connections on the inside at the input socket - I feel lucky my amp didn't suffer any damage. It was sorted out quickly, with no hassle....but does worry me slightly about the long term durability.

I've been gigging a Doubler with Midget on electric for a while now, and both have been superb. Loud, stupidly light, and lots of bottom.

Haven't gigged it with upright yet, but it sounds good at home. No reason to believe it won't be fine. The small footprint will be a gift, I expect.

And yes, the Midget does need breaking in for some hours before you get the best out of it.

Can't say the Midget looks home made to me, although I think the finish was changed just before I got mine. Very robust, I'd say.

I'm probably going to get a second one for bigger gigs, although I've come nowhere near needing that even in biggish pubs.

Edited by fatback

Yes - purchased straight from Alex Claber.

For what its worth, I really rate the Euphonic Audio cabs, their performance is extraordinary. But, the older CXL series I used were pretty heavy and I was very disappointed by the lack of support (ie spares/replacement drivers) once they stopped making a particular model. Probably not unusual, and not very different to other makers I know...but they are very expensive. Also the transmission line cabs seem to limit the range of alternative drivers that can be used successfully.

If sound alone was the issue, I probably would have gone for an Acme B1...but they weigh as much as my EACXLs.

The Barefaced Midget ticked the right boxes...and I'm happy with it.