Why become a member? ×

Stingray Lined fretless options

sshorepunk

Really after one of these, but they seem few and far between, when they have come up, I've missed them or they go over budget (like the one I was bidding on, on ebay, today!)

Got a few options here!

First off, I don't play a huge amount of fretless, I do play fretless on a few tracks my band do, one of which is a regular in our live set. I always play fretless when we have an acoustic jam, but I have a Lakland hollow body for that job now, thx to BigBeatNut!

So I want a lined fretless, simple as! This does reduce the number of basses open to me I know, but I wanna stay with the lines!

options are

Find one! not easy!

Defret a fretted, yeah, maybe! but I don't like dots on a fretless fretboard, lines OK, but dots no! (call me fussy lol) and stingrays, generally use Pau ferrow on fretless as opposed to RW (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Line an unlined fretless? not usre how many luthiers would do this, but it also gives me chance to get darker lines!

Buy one of those rather nice sterling ball rays in black and get a Status neck

Opinions? I guess my budget goes up to £700, which is probably about the worth of my deluxe jazz fretless, which this will replace! (I gig stingray fretted most of the time these days, hence the desire for similar fretless)

Tony

My 2p if your used to that buttercream (great colour!) ray you will find the sterling 34 lacking something, loads of folk on here swear by them but try on for yourself you may or may not agree. Also I know Status necks have gone through the roof! So even a sterling and a status neck will blow your £700 budget out the water. There have been loads lingering in the fs section recently have a search back and double check to see if any are still out there and a wanted add can't hurt. Good luck.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1088313' date='Jan 13 2011, 05:13 PM']My 2p if your used to that buttercream (great colour!) ray you will find the sterling 34 lacking something, loads of folk on here swear by them but try on for yourself you may or may not agree. Also I know Status necks have gone through the roof! So even a sterling and a status neck will blow your £700 budget out the water. There have been loads lingering in the fs section recently have a search back and double check to see if any are still out there and a wanted add can't hurt. Good luck.[/quote]

I've searched many times, a few unlined, less lined, missed out on one due to a random paypal security check, very frustrating!

I'll bear in mind your opinions on the sterling 34, I did read another thread where you had mentioned that!

BTW, my buttercream ray now has an East pre in it!

I've got my jazz to be going on with, so in no rush!

Tony

Yes I'm afraid I have become the big bad wolf on the matter :) give one a whirl but if like mcnash your swapping out the stock for an east I can't imagine the sterlings shall we say unique features will appeal that much but you never know. I can't remember how much the status necks are right now but cheap they ain't! Keep hunting mate it's out there somewhere.

I would hope a status neck would not sound like a standard jazz fretless sound when fitted to a stingray! ;-)

I had a conversation last night around the suitability of a status necked fretless vs trad' wood in the palying situation I am in, and concluded the status would be fine. Having owned a 6 string status fretless about 6 years back, i am aware of how they sound
I still have my lakland for more trad' sounds and may try and work this to keep my Jazz as well

Interesting night on this one, a few more options surfaced!

Tony