Why become a member? ×

Upgrading passive pickups

chrismuzz

Hi fellow low-enders,

I've been meaning to upgrade the pickups in my 6 string Peavey Grind for some time now. I can tweak a nice enough tone if I really mess with the EQ, but it is very much on the muddy side. It seems my options are very limited by the fact that I am not an active pickups kinda guy. The 2 options I'm looking at at the moment are EMG-HZs, or Seymour Duncan Basslines as they both seem to have the same dimensions. I've heard the Seymour Duncans on youtube, but have not heard of anyone using EMG-HZs without an astive preamp yet. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with either of these and if they're any good? Or possibly has some other suggestions that would fit the cavity (I'd prefer not to have to do any routing).

Any input would be awesome. Cheers!

EMG HZ are passive yeah, but usually are equipped in basses with active preamps so I've not heard them on their own yet.

Thanks very much for the offer man that's very kind :) but the Grind has an insanely tight string spacing and so it actually takes EMG 40 sized pickups instead. Have you ever used them on a bass without active electronics?

i have on my early efforts. never had the things around long enough to gather much of an opinion though. i only use my friends handwound jobbies now like. he can make you some to fit your specs (no harm in a plug). all handmade and scatterwound. coil tapped etc very versatile. we'll have a coupla basses finished in a few days if you would like to hear em, i'm sure i could arrange it. and yes, the 45 is wide enough for a 66 string i reckon.

With my tight string spacing I have to use the 40 sized pickups, which fit perfectly into the cavity luckily. I'm definately open to hearing what your friend can do, and of course the Kent Armstrong pickups. I didn't consider them originally because I assumed I'd have trouble getting hold of them. Also, tell me the damage, how much would a set of either set me back? lol

Cheers