Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz truss rod problem (possibly)

Jerry_B

Try as I might, I cannot get the truss rod in my Jazz to tighten. It seems possible to loosen it off a little (although it's not an easy job) but tightening it seems impossible. It hardly budges at all. Does this possibly mean that it's maxed out (and maybe I have to follow the instructions in the relevant thread) or is there some other problem involved? At the moment the neck has too much relief in it, and being a fretless it means that the action is too high and I'm getting marks appearing on the fingerboard.

Any help much appreciated!

Edited by Jerry_B

With the truss rod on the butt end of the neck you're going to have to be patient. It might takes a few goes to get it right.

Make sure you use the right size screwdriver, slowly loosen the rod and take the nut out completely.

Clean it (and the threads on the rod) and lube with some vaseline. This makes the rod adjust easier. Tighten the rod, not too much and assemble the bass again.

If that doesn't work you'll need to disassemble the bass, take the neck off again, loosen the nut, clamp the neck into a backbow and then tighten the rod. If you're lucky this should putt too much rlief into the rod and you'll have to loosen it to get it right.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1086837' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:59 PM']Aha - thanks for that! At the moment the rod doesn't seem to like being tightened or loosened, so I wonder if it's okay. I rescued the bass from years of very bad neglect so I wonder if some of that it catching up with it now :)[/quote]

Is it the kind of nut with an open centre? If so you can get some WD40 into it and leave it to work its way in that'll help a lot getting it loose but you'll struggle if it's the closed kind and might just have to force it, which is gonna be a bit scary! Often you can help ease off screws with a change in temperature but obviously with a neck that might not be such a bright idea.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1087194' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:38 PM']Well, there seems to be a smaller, dark space behind the 'X' of the nut, so maybe that's it?[/quote]

I'd spray some penetrating oil in there then (like WD40)and wait, minimum 1h - definitely won't do any harm and may well free the bolt.