Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Baby Bass

Mr Bassman

Hi guys,

I've got a '60's Sunburst Ampeg Baby Bass on loan, with the option to buy.

I quite like it to play, but it's sound is very limited.

Just wondered if anyone can recommend strings,

or has anyone experimented with a replacement maple bridge with wing slot pickup?

cheers

Keith

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1084927' date='Jan 10 2011, 10:08 PM']Hi guys,

I've got a '60's Sunburst Ampeg Baby Bass on loan, with the option to buy.

I quite like it to play, but it's sound is very limited.

Just wondered if anyone can recommend strings,

or has anyone experimented with a replacement maple bridge with wing slot pickup?

cheers

Keith[/quote]

I haven't got one, but I'd love one - you're very lucky! To answer your question, there's a whole thread on TalkBass.com dedicated to the Baby Bass and I'm sure there's some discussions of strings there. I think that you're right about the limited sound, but for salsa / afro-cuban music that is 'the' sound so I'd be loathe to mess with the sound too much if I were you. How much is the asking price if you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='tinyd' post='1085242' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:31 AM']I haven't got one, but I'd love one - you're very lucky! To answer your question, there's a whole thread on TalkBass.com dedicated to the Baby Bass and I'm sure there's some discussions of strings there. I think that you're right about the limited sound, but for salsa / afro-cuban music that is 'the' sound so I'd be loathe to mess with the sound too much if I were you. How much is the asking price if you don't mind me asking?[/quote]

I think it's got Jargar light strings on at the mo"

I tried a Honey D which was toneless, and then a Spiro Weich which sings nicely but still doesn't sound as I'd like it to.

Last night I experimented with a couple of transducers clipped on to the aluminium bridge blending them with the stock pick up, I think with time and patience I could get a usable sound but it would have to be at least as good as my Yamaha SLB100, which I'd probably have to sell towards funding the Baby Bass.

Price wise it belongs to a friend so that's yet to be agreed.

There are a few dings on the back of the neck which I'd like to sort out but otherwise the condition is v good for it's age.
It comes with a shaped velvet lined case!

Well, I took it to the gig last night (with a bass guitar as back up) and played it all night with the piezo stuck in the bridge.
Plugged direct into my LMK + Epifani uL110

what a great sound! big tight bottom with no boom and I could hear every note clearly, me being sandwiched between a 335 / Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Gretch drumkit, with miked grand piano to one side and a raunchy girl singer up front.

I got loads of positive comments about the sound (and looks) from the punters.

Anyway I've agreed to buy it so I can start expermenting with strings / set up etc.

Here's a pic

[attachment=68647:Ampeg1.jpg]