Why become a member? ×

QUESTION - Hand made amps

steelbeard

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer here in England of hand made (not imported as assemblies or re-badged) rack-mountable bass amps that also warrant and support them to the same level?

I heard say once that Ashdown sort of carried on with hand made stuff where Trace Elliot (UK) left off, any truth there ??
If so which of their models can anyone suggest with respect to the above question ???

Thanks..

[quote name='steelbeard' post='1084824' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:48 PM']I heard say once that Ashdown sort of carried on with hand made stuff where Trace Elliot (UK) left off, any truth there ??[/quote]

I can't find the reference, but I do remember readng that Ashdown stuff was originally made in the UK but latter models were made abroad.
You can't buy enough english made electronic components to make an amp anyway these days - all the components tend to be sourced in the far east regardless of country of manufacture of the final product.

[quote name='icastle' post='1084867' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:20 PM']I can't find the reference, but I do remember readng that Ashdown stuff was originally made in the UK but latter models were made abroad.
You can't buy enough english made electronic components to make an amp anyway these days - all the components tend to be sourced in the far east regardless of country of manufacture of the final product.[/quote]
Granted there's hardly any component manufacturers left here in the UK but what I mean by 'hand made' in essesnce is an item that's designed and the boards etc assembled here rather than boards mass-manufactured overseas.

+1 for Matamp, one of the oldest amp manufacturers in England and everything is designed and hand built in their workshop near Huddersfield. Some of the highest quality amplification money can buy.

I'm not sure exactly how much of the Ashdown stuff is made in the UK now but I know that at one time the higher end of their product line was all made here, I have an Ashdown ABM 410 cab that says 'made in England' on the back plate.

Some of the higher end Blackstar amps such as the Artisan series were handmade here but i recall hearing production moved to china. I also don't think they make bass amps :/

Edited by Pliskin

[quote name='Pliskin' post='1085049' date='Jan 10 2011, 11:56 PM']+1 for Matamp, one of the oldest amp manufacturers in England and everything is designed and hand built in their workshop near Huddersfield. Some of the highest quality amplification money can buy.[/quote]

Yep - but not rack mountable (unless Matamp can do a conversion of some description?!?)...

[quote name='Pliskin' post='1085065' date='Jan 11 2011, 12:28 AM']Almost everything is custom made to order at Matamp, although they currently don't offer any rackable amps I'm sure Jeff would find a way to make it happen.[/quote]

Cool - that kinda supports the degree of service the OP was looking for by the sound of it... :)

[quote name='steelbeard' post='1084824' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:48 PM']Can anyone recommend a manufacturer here in England of hand made (not imported as assemblies or re-badged) rack-mountable bass amps that also warrant and support them to the same level?

I heard say once that Ashdown sort of carried on with hand made stuff where Trace Elliot (UK) left off, any truth there ??
If so which of their models can anyone suggest with respect to the above question ???

Thanks..[/quote]

Bass amps

Check out AUDIO KITCHEN causing bit of a stir amongst old hacks, He is a bass player who builds amps!!! Made in UK boutique builder for valve stuff
+1 on Matamps Made in UK
Orange Made in UK (higher end stuff)
Hiwatt Made in UK (higher end)
Ashdown (Klystron and Valve series ) made in UK would def stand by these its very reliable a lot of the hire companies use them so they must be bombproof. Klystron is a UK made ABM with a bit more whistles, BTA's are valve power amps with ABM pre's, then there is the 427 LB30 etc. They are about to launch a load of UK made stuff in 2011. (i think they have realised that people want reliable uk made stuff)
Trace Elliot were but now made in the USA plenty of good older gear about from UK production and its easy to fix if it goes wrong
Dave Hall amps very nice DH400 expensive but worth every penny
Laney Nexus my fav at the mo made in the UK
With the exception DH none of the above are rackable, but they come with there own box cab or whatever so no problems!

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='steelbeard' post='1085954' date='Jan 11 2011, 07:37 PM']It's got to be rackable I'm afraid :)[/quote]

I forgot the Ashdown 550 spyder that is 2u 19" UK made

But if you pay for it i.e. a custom case you can rack anything, you can have a custom shelfy tray thing made, most things are put into racks these days, even pedal boards, how mad is that, a remote control pedal board...... the latest craze is to put three valve heads in a 12 u rack box, mainly for publicity shots... they are all at it James Johnson, Bass player from van Halen (i can never remember his name) even Geddy Lee (he only has two in a flat box) they are usually grimacing next to their tower of power

[quote name='Finbar' post='1086330' date='Jan 12 2011, 02:10 AM']My Matamp GT200 is actually 19" wide without the case. Now if that doesn't sound like it could be made rackmounted with a little fiddling, I don't know what does :)[/quote]

Yep, pretty sure all the large heads they do would fit in a rack without too much trouble.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1086280' date='Jan 12 2011, 12:11 AM']But if you pay for it i.e. a custom case you can rack anything, you can have a custom shelfy tray thing made, most things are put into racks these days, even pedal boards, how mad is that, a remote control pedal board...... the latest craze is to put three valve heads in a 12 u rack box, mainly for publicity shots... they are all at it James Johnson, Bass player from van Halen (i can never remember his name) even Geddy Lee (he only has two in a flat box) they are usually grimacing next to their tower of power[/quote]

The grimacing is probably due to the hernia caused by lifting the damn thing... :)