Why become a member? ×

Se2a plus Squier P5 wiring

squire5

Hi all.I'm just about to install an Artec Se2A pre-amp in my Squier P5,As you all know,this bass has the same pup layout as the Jazz bass,and as I've already installed an SE2A in my VMJ,I figured,'no problem'.Now,when I took the scratchplate off the P5,I've discovered that the pups have 3 wires each.One red,one white and one braid.I can see that the red and braid are connected to the same points on both pots(ground) so I presume I can continue to use them together when I install the Se2A.It only has provision for normal 2-wire pups so heres what I need to know...As the red and braid obviously serve the same purpose can I disregard the red and just use the braid(as ground) or must I use both red and braid together?Also,can somebody explain why these pups have 3 wires instead of the usual 2?Thanks.

It's only been a day after you asked, calm down :)

I can't explain why there's a braid in conjunction with an earth wire, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

You'd best use the braid in conjunction with the red wire, as that's how it's clearly designed to be wired. I don't know what (if any) negative repercussions will arise from leaving the braid disconnected. If you're having difficulty getting all that into the blend board (as it only has 3 small holes - neck, bridge and a single earth) you can try soldering in a short length of solid core wire in the hole then use that as a point to solder several wires to.

Sorry for the late reply guys,this ol' computer is giving me nightmares.Right,so the concensus is to use both the red and braid together.It'll make for a tight squeeze on the little circuit board,but your advice is good neepheid,I'll try that.Whats with the extra wire anyway?would it be something to do with coil tapping,right enough? Thanx Aberdeen!