Why become a member? ×

Newbie bass care question

falcodub

Firstly apologies for what seems a basic question!
I am relatively new to playing bass and have not yet cleaned it!
So, can i use this
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230569342433&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

and also some cleaner for the body, or is there a better way to care for my bass??

Cheers

I have to say I've never, ever used fast fret. I'm not convinced it either allows quicker playing (which I think was how it was originally marketed) or cleans the strings significantly. I never clean strings, once they look too grubby and (more importantly) sound dull, lifeless or give uneven responses then I replace them.
If the fretboard is rosewood and looks quite crappy, take the strings off and give the fretboard a going over with a light non abrasive cloth and lemon oil. Cleaning the body depends on how it's been finished but if it is a standard nitrocellulose type paint and it's not too thin a rub with a clean cloth shifts most marks or a light detergent. Try on a bit of body out of sight to check the solution isn't bringing any paint off.

A sensible question as few people will tell you how to clean your axe when buying!

Depends how you want it cleaned. Fast fret is really a string lube and I cant really comment on it's cleaning ability but I don't like it as it leaves the strings feeling greasy IMO. I've heard people say it can harm fret boards but I can't see how they'd get away with selling it if it really did.

Many players never clean their strings and prefer a slightly duller worn in tone. Personally I like a quite bright sound so prefer newer strings. New strings however are expensive and in order to get as much life as possible from a set I regularly take them off and boil them in a pan of water for 15 mins. This cleans them and revives the bright sound. The brightness however doesn't last quite as long as a new set but is worth while for me. Some people will no doubt turn their nose up at this tho. Boiling them doesn't really work if they have silk wound ends as it starts to fray afterwards. It's also a no no if you have strings such as Elixirs which have a coating on them.

While i've got the strings off I usually just give the rest of the bass a wipe and buff with a very soft duster. I wouldnt like to use a chemical cleaner or anything although I know plenty of guys who use furniture polish without too much problem. Depends on the finish on your bass. My advice is just a duster though.

Hope that helps!

Excellent thanks,
the bass is a modified wesley, wood finish so i think i will just get some basic cleaner and leave the strings alone.
Strings wise, they are relatively new and i haven't the first idea about the different types of strings so when they look like they need changing i will seek more advice!

I apply Fast Fret once a week to my roundwound strings. Whenever I change my strings - which isn`t too often - I polish the rosewood fretboards with Lemon Oil (the maple I just use a regular duster, no polish). I use a regular duster on the bodies of the bass (no polish), and, for the bridge, and near the pickups, all the other fiddly bits, I use a small paintbrush to remove dust etc.

Re changing strings - when they start sounding like yr unhappy with them. Each bassist is different, and each bass is different, as is each set/brand/gauge of strings. All down to the users ear.

I apply Fast Fret once a week to my roundwound strings. Whenever I change my strings - which isn`t too often - I polish the rosewood fretboards with Lemon Oil (the maple I just use a regular duster, no polish). I use a regular duster on the bodies of the bass (no polish), and, for the bridge, and near the pickups, all the other fiddly bits, I use a small paintbrush to remove dust etc.

Re changing strings - when they start sounding like yr unhappy with them. Each bassist is different, and each bass is different, as is each set/brand/gauge of strings. All down to the users ear.