Why become a member? ×

ROLAND CUBE-100 BASS COMBO

grayn

I wanted a combo that was small, yet large enough to give a full range of bass guitar tones and loud enough to rehearse or do smaller venues with. Also, I wanted to be able to add another cab to get more oomph, if required.

I tried a couple, of the cheaper Ashdown, 1X15 combos but was quite disappointed with their sound. They had the usual design, often found in cheaper amps, which make the tone go very middley, when turned up. Especially on the lower notes.

Next I tried the Mark Bass - Jeff Berlin combo. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but if it had really wowed me, I would have stretched my budget. But to be honest, it didn’t. Although, I may still get a Mark Bass cab, to go with the Roland.

The 3rd shop I tried, mainly stocked Ashdown but also had the Roland Cube-100. As soon as I plugged into it, I was impressed. This is a small, 100 watt, 1X12 combo, that doesn’t weigh that much. But it really sounded good, in a very large room. It wasn’t all mid-range or boxy, at all. It was very full and well defined. Only when I cranked it right up, to the top, did the bottom end become slightly limited, compared to the other frequencies. But it didn’t fart or go woolly.

I even tried it with a big, 1X15 extension cab and was very happy with the results. I also did a head-to-head comparison with an Ashdown 2X10 rig, and the Roland sounded louder and fuller.

The Cube-100 is 16 inches wide, 12.5 inches deep, 18.5 inches high and weighs 37.5 pounds.
It has an impressive output section, which for me, was important. Having one stereo, for phones/rec., one for an ext. speaker (max. 8 ohms), a line-out jack, a tuner out jack and a balanced XLR out.

Controls are extensive:

Power Switch,
Input: Pad Switch, useful for adjusting to active/passive basses.
Compression: Knob, always useful for recording and live too, of course.
Gain Knob, Volume Knob,
Equalizer: Bass Knob, Low-Mid Knob, High-Mid Knob, Treble Knob,
EFX: Knob (Chorus, Flanger, T-Wah),
Delay/Reverb: Knob,
Balanced Out: Select Switch (Pre, Post), Gnd Lift Switch (On, Off)

COSM Amplifier: Shape Switch-Type Knob, Roland’s amp modelling section:
Super-Flat: This amp type provides faithful reproduction of the connected bass’s own sound.
Flip-Top: Models the Ampeg B-15 (1 x 15”).
B-Man: Models the Fender Bassman 100 (4 x 12”).
T.E: Models the Trace Elliot AH600SMX + 1048 (4 x 10”) + 1518 (1 x 15”).
Bass 360: Models the Acoustic 360 (1 x 18”).
Session: Models the SWR SM-400 + Goliath (4 x 10”) + Big Ben (1 x 18”).
Concert 810: Models the Ampeg SVT + 810E (8 x 10”).
Octave Bass: Not so much a model, as an octave divider.

There is also a shape switch that gives a sophisticated mid-boost, to all the amp-models.

All these controls may seem like over kill to some. But it’s easy to get a good sound and then it’s up to you, whether you want to bother with all the effects and modelling malarkey. I was sceptical but have found I have taken to the B-Man and Session amps. The effects are easy to access and quite useful. Overall the amp section is impressive and very good quality, for not a lot of cash. The speaker and cabinet perform to an exceptional standard, again, considering their size and price.

Yes I do like this little combo and consider it quite an unsung gem.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my Roland Bass Cube 100 for 5 years now. During that time it's been used at least once a week, and it's never let me down. For most practises and small to medium sized gigs I'm convinced that it's the best there for its price range.
As mentioned above, the portability is excellent. I have a Roqsolid cover for it, but the big 'wrap-around' plastic corners protect it well. The range of effects are fun, but to be honest apart from a touch of Reverb I rarely use them.
When using the DLX lineout straight to a PA the internal speaker stays on. This is not the case for all combos. It means that when DI-ing the unit can be used as an on-stage monitor.
At a recent gig I let the (pick-uped) double bass player of another band use it. He was very impressed.
If my Cube was nicked or fell in the river I'd buy another one without hestitation.

Len

• 1 year later...

I agree with the above. I bought mine several years ago & have gigged with it in small/medium venues, DI'd it when necessary, & now it's my practice amp but would happily take it on any gig. The 100 watts stated power is believable. I was, am impressed with Roland quality & have also purchased a DBass 115.

I also use a number of their Keyboard amps for drum monitors etc & have never had a problem over several years. The KC-150 is particulary useful with channel 4 being a dedicated monitor channel & therefore not fed back to the line out. This enables an electronic drummer to use channel 2 as a drum monitor with independant volume control, send the drum signal line out to the PA, & also receive an aux mix of vocals & lead/rhythm guitars back in from the PA on channel 4 with it's own independant volume control. The drummer is happy & so are we, we have a volume control knob for the drums & he has control over what he hears on stage.

None have a fan which is a preference of mine.

Back to the CB100 - definitely an unsung gem, I'm keeping mine.

Has anyone tried it's successor yet the Cube-120XL ?

Edited by grandad

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1345884015' post='1782665']
have also purchased a DBass 115.
[/quote]

I have used a d-bass 210 for a number of years now and it has served me very very well. Picked it up for a really silly price from sound control in central and carried the box, foot by foot, to deep essex on the trains lol.

You don't see these about much due to the fact that they simply disappeared from the face of the earth! But the weight, or lack of, paired with a solid sound delivering 500W is something I wouldn't give up easily even though when I hear a Genz Benz or Eden it makes me melt. The 210 is just for to convenient for me at the moment and it punches above it's weight rep wise.

[b]Glad to see you guys are also enjoying the fruits of Roland amps :)[/b]

• 3 months later...

Hello, I have tried out the 120xl and it is truly magnificent. it's on my wish list. I am new to bass having played drums
for over twenty five years. currently I have a peavey tour 450 and two home made cabs. A 115 and a 215, but I reckon at most pubs and
clubs the roland would be sufficient, if not I'll hook up the 115.