Why become a member? ×

vibration issues

chilievans

Hello again,
I've just bought a shuker jazz (which I love dearly). I've noticed that when I play the E string and A string open I get a vibrating noise coming from the bass. I've never had a bass wiyh a brass nut before and I'm wondering if this could be causing the noise?? It only happens when the strings are played medium to hard. Could it be that the strings are too thin for the slots cut in the nut?
I'm confused

Edited by chilievans

I don't think the problem is related to the brass nut, if it's a Jazz type of bass this is a common issue and it boils down to the fact that the string tree (I am assuming this, having not seing a pic) will only hold down D & G strings hence the for the A & E ones you will have to compensate this by winidng the string round the posts in a downward spiral so that you end up with a greater angle from the nut to the headstock, if you restring all your strings like that, it should fix it if not take it to a repairman to have a look at it.

good luck

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1078206' date='Jan 5 2011, 07:57 AM']I don't think the problem is related to the brass nut, if it's a Jazz type of bass this is a common issue and it boils down to the fact that the string tree (I am assuming this, having not seing a pic) will only hold down D & G strings hence the for the A & E ones you will have to compensate this by winidng the string round the posts in a downward spiral so that you end up with a greater angle from the nut to the headstock, if you restring all your strings like that, it should fix it if not take it to a repairman to have a look at it.

good luck[/quote]

Thanks bud. I'll try it when I get home

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1078206' date='Jan 5 2011, 07:57 AM']I don't think the problem is related to the brass nut, if it's a Jazz type of bass this is a common issue and it boils down to the fact that the string tree (I am assuming this, having not seing a pic) will only hold down D & G strings hence the for the A & E ones you will have to compensate this by winidng the string round the posts in a downward spiral so that you end up with a greater angle from the nut to the headstock, if you restring all your strings like that, it should fix it if not take it to a repairman to have a look at it.

good luck[/quote]

+1

Also check to make sure that the machine head collars are tight - I had a loose one that vibrated and drove me up the wall until I realised where the vibration was coming from... :)

Yes, this is fairly common, and can be due to the following, where the length of the string is trimmed to only have 1 or 2 windings, and this prevents the downward spiral winding having enough windings on the post to stop these vibrations.

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1080278' date='Jan 6 2011, 07:08 PM']That doesn't sound like a problem solved, sounds like you need to rewind them strings a little further down the machinehead, why not slap a photo on showing the nut and machine heads[/quote]

I've got some pictures here to for you to look at. maybe someone can shed some light on the problem
[attachment=68102:P1000151.JPG]

[attachment=68103:P1000152.JPG]

I phoned Mr Shuker and told him of my problem and in all fairness he said he would put a new nut on the bass if I sent it up to him. Due to the cost of posting it wouldn't be worth me sending it

Can't see that clearly but there does look to be some downward tension there. The fact you said you shimmed it with paper and it stopped, sounds like you have tracked it down to the nut. But I was going to say the fact you can hear it tells me this is when played acoustically, and possibly sat down with it on your knee, I thought it could have been coming from your sraplocks rattling if you had your strap on whilst sat. It has happened to me and drove me mad trying to find it until you figure out it is only when you’re sat.
Other than that do you have a very high action and so only happening when releasing a fretted note and the string jumps up and rattles? ??