Why become a member? ×

did this walking bass line for someone im teaching

greyparrot

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1076073' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:45 AM']Marvin: not sure what you mean by MM's Bootcamp- did you mean to post a link?

Thanks Pete; I've checked it out and there's some really helpful stuff there. Not sure what Tux & Guitar Pro are (PC software, I presume), but great material.

Apologies Greyparrot for thread-jacking![/quote]

Yes I did mean to post a link, sorry - my addled brain :) Here it is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78653"]Major Minor's Boot Camp - Creating a Walking Bass Line[/url]

Tux and Guitar Pro are incredibly useful pieces of software I find. [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/"]Tux Guitar [/url] especially with this site [url="http://www.911tabs.com/"]911 tabs[/url]

Thought I'd pop in this thread and say hi as I am said student :) looking forward to those other exercises when you do them, Yesterday I did lots of major/minor/blues scales to try and learn my fretboard notes you'll be pleased to hear! :) I got some Blues playalong books in which the chords are given - very useful for giving ideas (on a non-standard 12 bar) for those interesting linking notes in the walking line - was playing for 1.5 hours yesterday poor Sax didn't get a look in :lol:

Greyparrot- apologies; I hadn't seen your post with the vid clip of Elvis' guitarist. That'll teach me to post before my 4th coffee and 10th B & H..!!
What a great vid: exemplifies the kind of music I took up bass to learn to play. Really lovely offer and thank you, but I fear you may be just a little too advanced for me.

I only started playing this Summer. I know the major scales and chords, understand the root/5th thing (and the odd 3rd) and I can play my way through just about anything I've got the chord charts for in this simple, non-connected way, but I've only just discovered the diatonic chords and I'm only as far as connecting I-IV-V in 'C' with a lot of concentration and very, very slowly!!

It's joining the chords up- 'Walking', I guess you call it, that I'm trying to master now. Nothing fast or flashy: really just slow stuff like 'He'll Have To Go' and 'Help Me Make It Through The Night', where you've got the 3 tones that either go up or down at the end of the lines (that is a musical term, right...?? :) ).

Thanks Marvin- I'll check those out. I find stopping and starting songs in iTunes a real nightmare!

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1076097' date='Jan 3 2011, 10:33 AM']Greyparrot- apologies; I hadn't seen your post with the vid clip of Elvis' guitarist. That'll teach me to post before my 4th coffee and 10th B & H..!!
What a great vid: exemplifies the kind of music I took up bass to learn to play. Really lovely offer and thank you, but I fear you may be just a little too advanced for me.

I only started playing this Summer. I know the major scales and chords, understand the root/5th thing (and the odd 3rd) and I can play my way through just about anything I've got the chord charts for in this simple, non-connected way, but I've only just discovered the diatonic chords and I'm only as far as connecting I-IV-V in 'C' with a lot of concentration and very, very slowly!!

It's joining the chords up- 'Walking', I guess you call it, that I'm trying to master now. Nothing fast or flashy: really just slow stuff like 'He'll Have To Go' and 'Help Me Make It Through The Night', where you've got the 3 tones that either go up or down at the end of the lines (that is a musical term, right...?? :) ).

Thanks Marvin- I'll check those out. I find stopping and starting songs in iTunes a real nightmare![/quote]

hey no worries, well im going to do a slow walking bass line / blues one for her too, maybe later today, and also a little octave song aimed at starters, so ill post them any way on this tread ;-) you sound like your doing well and playing the right stuff. You can play to faster stuff rnr using the 1-5. and joining root-4 n root to 5 with some notes from the major scale you are in. say your playin in c, then use d/e from the major scale to link to the chord change from c-f. ill do this vid later, you will see what i mean. but yeah, do it slow, speed will come. ;-)

Edited by greyparrot