Why become a member? ×

String Height...for Slap Bass

Pedro1020

Hi mate.

I personally like action set pretty low, and to be honest, I think the slap is more about your right hand technique. The higher the action, the harder you're going to have to slap the strings. The lower it is, you don't have to slap from a foot away! In the end, you'll have a more relaxed right hand/arm so it should flow better.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='122753' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:38 AM']Hi mate.

I personally like action set pretty low, and to be honest, I think the slap is more about your right hand technique. The higher the action, the harder you're going to have to slap the strings. The lower it is, you don't have to slap from a foot away! In the end, you'll have a more relaxed right hand/arm so it should flow better.[/quote]

:) Good Ole' Pete, Thanks Mate..Oh yeah Ive been meaning to ask, you know the strings that were already on the Streamer..were they new? :huh:

Cheers mate

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='122953' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:32 PM']:) Good Ole' Pete, Thanks Mate..Oh yeah Ive been meaning to ask, you know the strings that were already on the Streamer..were they new? :huh:

Cheers mate[/quote]
Won't have been new, but to be honest, I've not gigged with that bass for nearly a year. I never let my strings get really dead beacause I like my strings to be a bit bright. The last time I used it live was around April so they should still be fairly OK. It's very difficult to say after all this time though, obviously.

What I would say is the ones that are on will be Warwick Red Labels, which, when they are new, are nice and bright (if that's the sound you're after), but they do deaden fairly quickly with sustained use. They are the cheapest in the Warwick range. I used to get them for about £6 a set from an eBay shop.

The ones I've given you are DR Fat Beams, which retail at around £33. I bought three sets, and have used the other two sets on another two basses. I haven't had lots of use out of them, but some people on here use them and swear by them.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='122964' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:46 PM']Won't have been new, but to be honest, I've not gigged with that bass for nearly a year. I never let my strings get really dead beacause I like my strings to be a bit bright. The last time I used it live was around April so they should still be fairly OK. It's very difficult to say after all this time though, obviously.

What I would say is the ones that are on will be Warwick Red Labels, which, when they are new, are nice and bright (if that's the sound you're after), but they do deaden fairly quickly with sustained use. They are the cheapest in the Warwick range. I used to get them for about £6 a set from an eBay shop.

The ones I've given you are DR Fat Beams, which retail at around £33. I bought three sets, and have used the other two sets on another two basses. I haven't had lots of use out of them, but some people on here use them and swear by them.[/quote]

Thanks Pete! I may change them just for the sake of it :) I've fixed the problem with the LEDs also...a friend of my dads who does circuit boards did a run thru of all the circuitory..its spik and span now! :huh: only 1 minor loose connection...

Cheers mate (once again) for the slap bass advise!..I dont have to slap so hard on the streamer ;)

No worries mate. You won't be dissappointed with it.

On the "slap" thing....have a scout around YouTube at the variations of people slapping and you'll see lots of different styles of it. Some wear the bass high, and attack the bass with their forearm below the bridge, some wear the bass low and attack the strings from above.

It's a good idea to have a good look at all the pros (Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Alain Caron, Larry Graham, Mark King, etc. etc.) and watch how they play. You can pick up tips from all of them. At the end of the day, everyone is different.....there's no "one" way of slapping. What works for me might not work for you. And tied into that, the string height can have an awful lot to do with which style you go with. But the lower you go with your action, the less delay there is between hitting and releasing the string with your thumb.

It just has to be comfortable.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='122981' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:02 PM']No worries mate. You won't be dissappointed with it.

On the "slap" thing....have a scout around YouTube at the variations of people slapping and you'll see lots of different styles of it. Some wear the bass high, and attack the bass with their forearm below the bridge, some wear the bass low and attack the strings from above.

It's a good idea to have a good look at all the pros (Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Alain Caron, Larry Graham, Mark King, etc. etc.) and watch how they play. You can pick up tips from all of them. At the end of the day, everyone is different.....there's no "one" way of slapping. What works for me might not work for you. And tied into that, the string height can have an awful lot to do with which style you go with. But the lower you go with your action, the less delay there is between hitting and releasing the string with your thumb.

It just has to be comfortable.[/quote]

I will scout about on youtube mate! lol Marcus Miller will be a first...

Yeah! my teacher (who teachers guitar and bass) made me learn only one way..and he forced me (at the time) as it being the correct method where you attack the strings from above...like flea, but to me that just feels reli awkward & uncomfortable as I do wear my instruments high...just like the 50's/60's :), I've evolved that technique where I tuck my forearm and use the complete force of my arm for the slap..it works on low strings as Ive discovered so I may lower the height just a tad bit on the Streamer...*sigh* gonna have to read the online manual..

lol I feel impulsed to say Pete, hows the new Lakland? is it fitting nicely in your uber bass collection? :huh:

Cheers

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='122984' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:12 PM']lol I feel impulsed to say Pete, hows the new Lakland? is it fitting nicely in your uber bass collection? :)[/quote]
It feels and sounds fantastic.

Passive bass, not active, but the pickups are monstrous. Got a lovely genuine Jazz tone to it. It hangs really well too. I have a feeling my Marcus Miller Jazz will be spending more time on the guitar stand from now on.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='122988' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:16 PM']It feels and sounds fantastic.

Passive bass, not active, but the pickups are monstrous. Got a lovely genuine Jazz tone to it. It hangs really well too. I have a feeling my Marcus Miller Jazz will be spending more time on the guitar stand from now on.[/quote]

Haha! its great to hear Pete, its also a shocker to hear it puts a Fender Jazz Bass to shame!..I'll never look at one the same again...jokes! :)

lol it's all fair. we do have to get all we can from new instruments

See my friends approve of those Marcus Millers and I've never had a go on one, plus I've got money aside for another bass or a car..*inner voice* "BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS..." would you suggest they have a unique sound? or is it just like a jazz bass?

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='122990' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:22 PM']See my friends approve of those Marcus Millers and I've never had a go on one, plus I've got money aside for another bass or a car..*inner voice* "BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS..." would you suggest they have a unique sound? or is it just like a jazz bass?[/quote]
Well if you're after slapping....then the Marcus Miller's fantastic.....as they're trying to recreate his sound on a budget. But that's a point...only Marcus will really get his own sound. It is a tremendous bass. And I can't see me ever getting rid (then again, I said that about my Thumb 5 string before I bought this JO5!). The sound is basically aimed more at being active....when in passive mode, you can change the volume of each pickup but not the tone.

I haven't played a great deal of older and/or standard Jazzes, but I would say.....get yourself down to your nearest store that stocks the Marcus along with other jazz basses and just try them out for yourself. Again, only you'll know what looks, feels and sounds right for yourself. It depends what you want to use it for. My band is all covers, so I need versatile basses. I get that with the Marcus, but this JO5 sounds completely different. I reckon I'll stop shopping now :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='122999' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:30 PM']Well if you're after slapping....then the Marcus Miller's fantastic.....as they're trying to recreate his sound on a budget. But that's a point...only Marcus will really get his own sound. It is a tremendous bass. And I can't see me ever getting rid (then again, I said that about my Thumb 5 string before I bought this JO5!). The sound is basically aimed more at being active....when in passive mode, you can change the volume of each pickup but not the tone.

I haven't played a great deal of older and/or standard Jazzes, but I would say.....get yourself down to your nearest store that stocks the Marcus along with other jazz basses and just try them out for yourself. Again, only you'll know what looks, feels and sounds right for yourself. It depends what you want to use it for. My band is all covers, so I need versatile basses. I get that with the Marcus, but this JO5 sounds completely different. I reckon I'll stop shopping now :huh:[/quote]

lol haha, one more bass for me and then my search is over (still fixated on a Thumb..4 string preferably)..I continue with my getting the car cause, I keep neglecting that.

I think I would have to check it out, they seem nice!..Old jazz basses at steal prices I would immediately jump in for as there's something *traditional* about Fender that I can rely suggest to many people as a quality bass..I think IMO new fenders have become digital for my likin...my bands a funk band, I transition from guitar and bass so Im pretty happy with what Ive done and invested to in 2008 :)

Thanks for the advise Pete! thumbs up!

• 1 month later...

FWIW, With my Streamer Stage One I find a nice slick low action with ELixir Nanoweb strings gives a nice tight bouncy slap sound.

You need to give yourself some time to develop your technique - get the bass in a comfortable standing position and then try different ways of slapping - under the string, thumb upwards, thumb in line with the string, thumb downwards, and whatever feels natural to you should be your starting point.

I cant recommend Stu Clayton's "Ultimate Slap Bass Guide" - and Ed Friedland's DVD by the same name - I used both of them and it developed my slap playing to no end.

And no, im not on commision from Stu Clayton or Bassline publishing, I just think its a fantastic book for all levels of slap playing.