Why become a member? ×

Do I need a new nut?

ras52

Hi Guys,

I've been playing for a few months after a massive layoff during which I sold most of my gear. I kept hold of a late-70s Precision, bought S/H in the early 80s, which I hardly ever used when I was gigging. My main bass back then was a Wal. Yes I was mad to sell it and I'd love to be able to get another but circumstances dictate otherwise!

I love the sound the Precision makes but it's always been a bit of brute to play, as the action needs to be painfully high to stop the strings rattling. Neck relief is set up fine as per the guide on the Fender website, i.e. around 0.03mm at the 8th fret. Looking beyond screwdriver-and-allen-key territory, I'm now wondering about the nut - see pics.

The nut is obviously worn, but is too much? The G string sits about 1mm over the fretboard at the nut. It's strung with 040-095s.

What do you think? Do you have any recommendations for a trusted tech guy who could look at it? I'm based in Bromley (SE London/Kent).

Cheers!
Richard

It may be a little low but if the strings aren't fretting out at the first fret then it must be within tolerances.
However, it might be a good idea to get a new nut fitted purely on the strength of the width of those rather roomy slots. :) Looks like its' a righty lefty nut. :)
The guides for neck relief are just that .... guides. In a perfect world where all woods were identical then fine but I would set your neck to how [b]it[/b] wants to be rather than copying a model example half way round the world somewhere.

[quote name='ras52' post='1074324' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:08 PM']What do you think? Do you have any recommendations for a trusted tech guy who could look at it? I'm based in Bromley (SE London/Kent).

Cheers!
Richard[/quote]

I use Julian Clarke at The Guitar Centre in Sevenoaks so it's not too far from you. He replaced the nut on my Jazz recently as I was having trouble with the A hopping out. He builds guitars and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Just don't expect to park too near if going by car!

Jesus H christ I'm astounded it plays at all with that nut.......!

A new Graphtec will cost you around £6 - they are dead easy to fit and a decent Bass Tech will be able to so it for you. They should do a ful set up to (if that is beyond you) and might look at shiming the neck if the action is as bad as you say.

Neither of these jobs are biggies but will make such a masive difference if done properly.... Shame your so far away I wouldnt mind doing that myself....

[quote name='ras52' post='1074324' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:08 PM']Hi Guys,

I've been playing for a few months after a massive layoff during which I sold most of my gear. I kept hold of a late-70s Precision, bought S/H in the early 80s, which I hardly ever used when I was gigging. My main bass back then was a Wal. Yes I was mad to sell it and I'd love to be able to get another but circumstances dictate otherwise!

I love the sound the Precision makes but it's always been a bit of brute to play, as the action needs to be painfully high to stop the strings rattling. Neck relief is set up fine as per the guide on the Fender website, i.e. around 0.03mm at the 8th fret. Looking beyond screwdriver-and-allen-key territory, I'm now wondering about the nut - see pics.

The nut is obviously worn, but is too much? The G string sits about 1mm over the fretboard at the nut. It's strung with 040-095s.

What do you think? Do you have any recommendations for a trusted tech guy who could look at it? I'm based in Bromley (SE London/Kent).

Cheers!
Richard[/quote]

As a previous poster suggested the nut has most probably been cut so it can be played as a lefty, also cut for 105 gauge or even 110's as they are pretty big 'oles. if this is the case the action would prob have been set accordingly. As others have suggested get it set up with a new nut and the action sorted as you will prob start to knacker the frets at the nut end. Its worth getting the ole girl sorted as she is worth a few quid now. I will also make a suggestion try some tape wound strings, some of the fender 9120 are good, don't be scared of the 110 E string, they are very soft feeling, and they feel low tension and are very easy to fret. They are a session players friend as you can play for hours and hours without any finger burn. Everybody has forgotten about them. But they are great and produce a real tight focussed thump they sound great on old precisions and jazzers as these where the strings they originally came with.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1074857' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:55 PM']Or for someone who plays with 4 E strings....[/quote]

LOL, or four B strings!

Thanks for the responses all... a full service is now at the top of my shopping list. I also had a look at the list of recommended luthiers in the wiki and see there are a couple in Croydon, through which I pass regularly, so I'll be on the blower on Tuesday.

Re strings, in time I'm planning to get something with P/J config as my main bass, and then put flats on this one for that classic sound. At the moment it's the P - great sound, unruly beast - and a Hohner B2 V which I picked up aeons ago to see if a 5-string was for me - it wasn't. That one is however really smooth to play (as a 4-string with a 34-inch thumb-rest) but sounds like a duck blowing its nose.