Why become a member? ×

Euphonic Audio iAmp Doubler 550

supabock

[quote name='supabock' post='1067204' date='Dec 22 2010, 08:45 PM']Hi All,
I know its all subjective and all that, but does anyone own one, or tried one of these amps, or can give me an opinion on them??

Thanks,

Steve[/quote]
No where near 500 watts, Shuttle 9 is much better if you don't need the 2 channels and mic input. Very well made but doesn't cut it volume wise. I didn't think the Micro 500 had any "life" to it's sound, very sterile.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

I've been running a Doubler for a few months now. Done about eight gigs and a fair number of practices with it, all with bass guitar, and I like it a lot. I got it because i got a double bass, but i really like the sound with bass guitar.

It's a very clean sound, but not at all modern or clinical. There's an attractive warmth there.

You do hear a lot of people saying these amps aren't loud, but I disagree. It's clean all the way to the max, and I think people perceive loudness in distortion, so they feel it's quieter than it is. Also, the level knobs are linear. So when you're half way up, you're half way up, not three quarters as with most amps. I think a lot of people don't set their pre- gain right either. Speaker efficiency is bound to be important here too; Ive only ever used mine with my BF Midget, so I can't compare, but the Midget is an efficient cab.

To put the loudness in perspective, with two guitars and a medium loud drummer, playing country rock in largish pubs, I've never had it to half way. That's through the 8 ohm Midget alone.

The EQ is basic. If you want more, you need to use an EQ pedal or other preamp. Usefully though, the centre frequency for the mid control is placed differently on each of the two channels. On channel 1 it's optimal for bass guitar, on 2 for double bass, so you have more useful control than you think. I've never felt a lack of control with a passive bass guitar. I usually use a Sadowsky pre as well, but that has only treble and bass controls and is more for some indefinable quality it adds, rather than for EQ.

For double bass, I've only ever used it at home with a K&K Bassmax piezo. Because the input impedence on the amp is high, I don't need a preamp, which is nice. Channel 2 has phase shifting, in case you want to use two pickups or a pickup and mic. I haven't used that. Chanel 2 also has a notch filter for pinning down feedback. I've found that useful.

The above should mean that you won't need a preamp like the Fishman Pro to get phase reversal and notch filter if you're using it for double bass. But I have thought i need more tone shaping for the DB, so my solution is to try the DHA DI-EQ with the parametric mid (with Q) to get more control. That hasn't been delivered yet, so i can't comment on the combination. Important point though - very few amps have Q control on their parametrics anyhow, so if you want that you have to go elsewhere.

Worth keeping in mind that you can switch between the channels, for two different sounds, when you're using only one instrument.

I've read very positive things about the quality of the DI but can't attest to that cos I've never used it. I read that customer support is top notch, but i've not had to use that either.

Build quality seems top class and the amp seems to weigh nothing at all. It's tiny too. My only quibble with this is that the tone controls aren't illuminated - a pain on a dark stage.

In short, i love this amp, and the big surprise was just how very sweet it is for bass guitar.

If you need to double, get one. If you don't need to double, but can get our hands on one at a decent price, go for it.

All imo, of course :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='1067268' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:01 PM']You do hear a lot of people saying these amps aren't loud, but I disagree. It's clean all the way to the max, and I think people perceive loudness in distortion, so they feel it's quieter than it is. Also, the level knobs are linear. So when you're half way up, you're half way up, not three quarters as with most amps. I think a lot of people don't set their pre- gain right either. Speaker efficiency is bound to be important here too; Ive only ever used mine with my BF Midget, so I can't compare, but the Midget is an efficient cab.[/quote]

I had my Micro 550 full up, input and master gain into an 8 ohm epi ul2 4x10, yes it did not distort, but you could really feel the compression on an amp that was not giving any more. By comparison, the Shuttle 9 gives about the same level into a Barefaced Midget T (brill speaker!)with no feeling of compression or loss of headroom at only 50% input gain and 50% master volume......no comparison for me. This is my experience with a Micro 550, but everyone has there own views.
All imo :)

I've been using the Micro for a few weeks, in a variety of settings...and I'm very impressed. But its worth remembering the full power rating is at 2 or 4 ohms, not 8 ohms. Its plenty powerful with my Barefaced Midget, and also very loud with a Bag End S15..if you need it to be.

Overall tone is neutral, but in a good way and the eq is very musical. If you like to use eq for dramatic changes to the sound of your bass then you probably won't like the on board preamp alone.

I love the size and (lack of) weight, and I can even forgive the fan, as it is not intrusive (even in very low volume situations).

Thanks for your valuable comments....... I will be considering the EA as i will be using a double bass along with electric bass. I also have a fishman plat pro that will see the light of day i am sure when the upright does also.
I guess in a way i have such great EQ on my basses that whatever amp i use i generally use flat and control all the colour and tones from the bass end. Somewhat a waste of an HD 350 really.
Not sure what the EA Doubler will sound like through the ebs cabs, but they will have to do for the moment.....

Anymore thoughts, just jot them down for me it’s much appreciated

Just saw your sig list - I use a Clifton EUB as well (Realist p/up) with the Micro, and it works really well. The only issue you might have with the EBS cabs is they suddenly seem very heavy.....

For what its worth...I'm not a fan of trying to use mics for acoustic bass on gigs. Its too much hassle, even with a good front end like the Doubler.