Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

String to pup gap too big

fatback

On a fretless Squier VMJ, the smallest gap I can get between string and bridge pup on the E string is 1/4 inch. That's about twice what Fender suggest, and I'm wondering whether that means the bridge saddles are overextended. Other strings have the same problem.

I have very little relief, no bumps on the neck (I've sanded down those nasty protruding placcy fret markers) and the action at the 20th fret on the E string is 1/4 inch. That's ok with me, cos I dig in a bit. The threaded legs of the E saddle are extended by about 6/16ths. That seems like a lot to me.

Does this mean I need to shim the bridge the opposite way to the usual, ie shim at the neck end of the pocket rather than the body end?

Or am i thinking wrongly about the whole thing?

Edited by fatback

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but my initial thought is: in this case, it would be easiest to raise the pickup to meet the string, than lower the string to meet the pickup.

Is it not possible to raise the pickup any higher? I've encountered this problem before, and fixed it by putting some additionaly padding below the foam under the pickup.

Jennifer

[quote name='fatback' post='1064084' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:12 PM']....On a fretless Squier VMJ, the smallest gap I can get between string and bridge pup on the E string is 1/4 inch. That's about twice what Fender suggest, and I'm wondering whether that means the bridge saddles are overextended. Other strings have the same problem....[/quote]
The Fender recommendation will be a figure for "normal" use, whatever that is! If you dig in you'll need extra space, but I would have thought that the gap between the strings and the fret board was more important.

It depends if there are already any shims in the neck pocket. If it was shimmed already then that might have raised the action and also the saddle height to compensate.

Adjusting shims is a bit hit and miss. I would only do this if you're confident about removing the neck etc. and remember that you'll have to adjust the action again after any shimming.

If the action is acceptable then I'd be inclined to adjust the pickup upwards, as endorka suggested.

But to answer your original question - yes, shimming the headstock end of the neck pocket with a narrow shim would lower the action at the bridge end.

If the action is as you like it (neck relief, string height above fingerboard) then the easiest fix is to raise the pickup. If it's already up as far as it will go then take the pup out (easy job - just take the adjusting screws out and lift) and put some more foam underneath. If you feel the bridge saddles are too high for comfort then shim the neck at the end away from the bridge as you suggest and then bring the saddles down.

[quote name='fatback' post='1064554' date='Dec 20 2010, 01:03 PM']Thanks all,

I'm happy enough with the action. The thing that got me thinking was that the saddles seemed very high and the pups were also as high as they could go.

I'll pad the pups, as Jennifer suggests, and take it from there. :)[/quote]

I was asking my local luthier about this and he prefers springs to foam (the screws go though the middle). His view is that foam is a cheap option and loses it's "umph" after a while leading to the pickups rattling a bit.

[quote name='thinman' post='1068139' date='Dec 23 2010, 07:32 PM']I was asking my local luthier about this and he prefers springs to foam (the screws go though the middle). His view is that foam is a cheap option and loses it's "umph" after a while leading to the pickups rattling a bit.[/quote]

In my ignorance, I'd imagined that it had springs in there, until Jennifer mentioned the foam. My old US Jazz of years ago had springs I'm sure.

[quote name='thinman' post='1068139' date='Dec 23 2010, 07:32 PM']I was asking my local luthier about this and he prefers springs to foam (the screws go though the middle). His view is that foam is a cheap option and loses it's "umph" after a while leading to the pickups rattling a bit.[/quote]

If you only use foam this will happen. I tend to pad the space out with a bit of wood or similar until it is almost at the height to hold the pickup, then use the foam for the last bit to allow some adjustment.

Good springs are good, but I often find them too wobbly and easy to press down, especially if they are near their maximum extent. In this case you can pad them out with washers or nuts over the screws in the same way as described above.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1068186' date='Dec 23 2010, 08:06 PM']If you only use foam this will happen. I tend to pad the space out with a bit of wood or similar until it is almost at the height to hold the pickup, then use the foam for the last bit to allow some adjustment.

Good springs are good, but I often find them too wobbly and easy to press down, especially if they are near their maximum extent. In this case you can pad them out with washers or nuts over the screws in the same way as described above.

Jennifer[/quote]

Hey, thanks for that. I'll use the wood trick.

You're now my honorary luthier. :)