Why become a member? ×

Anyone tune to C?

joeystrange

I'm going to be tuning C-G-C-F for a new project and I'd like some advice on strings.

I usually use 45-65-85-105 to tune to E and if I tune these down to C they're not too bad apart from the bottom C, which is really loose.
If anyone has experience with this tuning could I get away with 50-110 or would 55-115 be better? or something else entirely?
I don't want to go too heavy but don't want the strings to be too loose either.

Other people have suggested getting a 5-string set and throwing away the G but I don't know if they might be too heavy to feel comfortable.

If it makes any different I'm using a standard Fender Precision.

Thanks

Edited by joeystrange

I used to tune C standard....so C, F, Bb, Eb
I used high tension Newtone custom strings (around same price as Elites/DR's etc)
I told them my tuning, and my preferred guage (which was 45-105) and they made them for me!

Simples :)

Had similar tension to that of a standard tuned bass, with a similar action.
Its all about tension (core size), not guage! :)

Try Newtone Strings

Si

p.s.
I have no affiliation, I just think they're spot on!

Thanks for that.
I've actually used Newtone before. They're based about 15 minutes from my house and a friend of mine used to work for them. I'll get in touch and see what they suggest.

Although last time I used their strings I broke one on the first gig. Maybe it was just a bad string?

[quote name='joeystrange' post='1059974' date='Dec 15 2010, 08:11 PM']I'm going to be tuning C-G-C-F for a new project and I'd like some advice on strings.

I usually use 45-65-85-105 to tune to E and if I tune these down to C they're not too bad apart from the bottom C, which is really loose.
If anyone has experience with this tuning could I get away with 50-110 or would 55-115 be better? or something else entirely?
I don't want to go too heavy but don't want the strings to be too loose either.

Other people have suggested getting a 5-string set and throwing away the G but I don't know if they might be too heavy to feel comfortable.

If it makes any different I'm using a standard Fender Precision.

Thanks[/quote]

having the action set on the bass for playing in drop C will help

[quote name='retroman' post='1060435' date='Dec 16 2010, 11:42 AM']One band I'm in tunes down to C, and I'm using my Ric, strung with DR DDT's 110 set. Great strings, didn't need the truss rods tweaked or anything, and no floppiness[/quote]
That's cool to know.
I just checked their site though and it looks like they do a 105 set and a 115 set but no 110 set? Not that I can see anyway.