Why become a member? ×

Fretless bass strings

porterpr

[quote name='porterpr' post='1058945' date='Dec 14 2010, 08:23 PM']Hi could anybody give me any ideas about strings I know rounds sound better (in my opinion) but do they damage your fingerboard?[/quote]

That's the general held opinion of them.
Makes sense when you think about it - roundwound strings are like a file (^^^^^) rubbing against the wood.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='1059364' date='Dec 15 2010, 10:46 AM']I used D'Addario half-wounds on a fretless with an ebony fingerboard. they felt and sounded superb.[/quote]

I've just started using these too and very pleased with them.

You can use roundwounds but if you're a bit heavy with your fretting hand you're going to eventually damage the fingerboard.

Maybe try coated roundwounds like Elixirs. the coating might soften the string a bit and cause a bit less damage.

Edited by Fat Rich

One solution is to coat the fingerboard with Danish oil, and then monitor for any wear. Re-coat as necessary. Danish oil dries off to give a thin but hard coating to the fingerboard.

I've used rounds on my Shergold Marathon since 1980, only in the last two or three years switching to flats for a change. There is slight scratching to the maple fingerboard, but nothing to worry about. Since I started using the Danish oil about five years ago, the scratches have not got any worse.