Why become a member? ×

Eminence BP102-4

Raph

Eminence BP102-4

Anyone have a cab using one or more of these? If so, any opinions?

I'm intending to make a 1x10" cab to use with 250-300W amps, not intending to use extension cabs therefore 4ohms.

It's rated at a rather weak hifi-esque 90.5dB/W/m but I've compared the freq curve to speakers rated at 98-99 and most of the usable frequencies are only 2-3dB down, and there's a big dip in the 500-2k range, which I normally filter down with EQ or an unorthodox crossover that leaves a dip to compensate for where a speaker tends to "honk" (often around 2-2.5k). A higher sensitivity speaker wouldn't be effectively any more useful if the gains were in that middle range where I'd just have to get more creative to filter those frequencies out...

If the consensus is that it kicks out plenty of welly per given watts then I'll get one.

[quote name='Raph' post='1054527' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:37 PM']Eminence BP102-4

I'm intending to make a 1x10" cab to use with 250-300W amps, not intending to use extension cabs therefore 4ohms.

It's rated at a rather weak hifi-esque 90.5dB/W/m but I've compared the freq curve to speakers rated at 98-99 and most of the usable frequencies are only 2-3dB down, and there's a big dip in the 500-2k range, which I normally filter down with EQ or an unorthodox crossover that leaves a dip to compensate for where a speaker tends to "honk" (often around 2-2.5k). A higher sensitivity speaker wouldn't be effectively any more useful if the gains were in that middle range where I'd just have to get more creative to filter those frequencies out...

If the consensus is that it kicks out plenty of welly per given watts then I'll get one.[/quote]

From looking at the Eminence .pdf and at usspeaker.com, it would suggest that this unit is mainly intended for use in multiples. The latter suggests it would be good in an Ampeg 8x10. On it's own it will be loud but not stunningly loud. Only 100w power handling. There's also an 8 ohm version available.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1055891' date='Dec 12 2010, 12:04 PM']From looking at the Eminence .pdf and at usspeaker.com, it would suggest that this unit is mainly intended for use in multiples. The latter suggests it would be good in an Ampeg 8x10. On it's own it will be loud but not stunningly loud. Only 100w power handling. There's also an 8 ohm version available.

Balcro.[/quote]

OK - I think I'll probably go for a high sensitivity neo PA driver instead then.

Thank you for the reply.

[quote name='Raph' post='1054527' date='Dec 10 2010, 04:37 PM']Eminence BP102-4

It's rated at a rather weak hifi-esque 90.5dB/W/m but I've compared the freq curve to speakers rated at 98-99 and most of the usable frequencies are only 2-3dB down, and there's a big dip in the 500-2k range[/quote]
The answers to your questions are to be found on the SPL and Maximum SPL charts when you model the driver in the proposed cabinet and compare the result to other drivers. Manufacturer driver data sheet charts don't reflect results in an enclosure, only response above 200Hz, and they don't show maximum SPL.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice