Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cheap flatwound six string set?

Oakbear

• 3 weeks later...

Have you had a chance to try these out yet?

I've just treated myself to a 6er and realised that rotosound don't seem to do a 6 string flatwound set. Well they do if you buy a 5 string et and a high C but they're a bit pricey for such a cheap bass

Edited by Delberthot

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got these on Friday (with an email a few days before apologising for the delay due to illness, snow etc), and strung them and did a full setup on my Chiwanese 6, which i've now defretted.

I have to say that although i haven't played flats before, so have no comparison, i'm really impressed with these. They appear very well made, and are smooth and uniform with no perceivable flaws. The tone is beautiful, clear and piano like, but with a mellow edge. Getting plenty of the much sought 'mwah' with them, and you can get a good solid thump from them too when muted.
They are a joy to play, i've not stopped since restringing!

I'd recommend them to anyone, and when i need a new set will seriously consider trying these again rather than experimenting with a more expensive set.