Why become a member? ×

SX Precision

paul h

Jan 14, 2008 Just after 8:00 AM In my grubby hands!

Jan 14, 2008 7:11 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery SOUTHERN SORT GB

Jan 12, 2008 3:06 AM At local FedEx facility SOUTHERN SORT GB

Jan 11, 2008 11:39 PM In transit STANSTED GB

9:59 PM Int'l shipment release STANSTED GB

6:41 PM At dest sort facility STANSTED GB

5:40 AM Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Jan 10, 2008 4:34 PM In transit INDIANAPOLIS, IN

11:42 AM Arrived at FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Jan 9, 2008 7:01 PM Left origin LEBANON, NH

2:17 PM Picked up LEBANON, NH

11:34 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx

[attachment=4845:DSCF0434.JPG]

[attachment=4847:DSCF0436.JPG]

[attachment=4846:DSCF0435.JPG]

The neck is a wee bit on the orange side and it needs shielding or earthing properly because there is a little bit of signal noise when coming in contact with the shiny bits.

Other than that?

Plays like a dream! Took 5 minutes to correct the intonation and lower the already pretty good action. Build quality is quite high. Fairly nice 3 piece body, nice tight neck joint. The tuners probably could do with replacing, but so far it's staying in tune. The neck is straight and I haven't had to touch the truss rod as yet.

The pickup is loud and punchy, but again, probably could be better...but certainly not a must.

And one of the best things is that it weighs next to nothing.

For £130 it is a more than usable bass. I can definitely see the potential for mods and upgrades..but it will do for now.

Get one.

Paul.

ps. sorry for the rubbish pics...but that's all yer gettin'

Edited by paul h

And this year's Fastest GAS Attack Award goes to .....
Paul H!!!!!

Welcome to the SX Maniacs' club ...

I think I'll be getting a bone nut for mine when it goes for a setup.

Despite all the mods on my P the SX stuff does seem to be fine as it comes so I'd live with it for a while before investing in anything apart from strap locks, sheilding paint and a bit of 800 grit paper to take the shine off the back of the neck :) ...

Yup, paid FedEx over the phone last week and I have some adhesive shielding left over from my Aerodyne...so I could just leave this as a £130 bass and be perfectly happy with it.

I am not sure I can resist the lure of a tort pickguard though.

Or a black one.

Or tort.

Or black.

[quote]Nice Paul, welcome to the club. Told you it would be with you this week!!!

SX Club member # 3[/quote]

You did indeed. Although it was a very frustrating weekend knowing the thing was sitting in the sorting depot! Thinking about it, this might actually be the second cheapest bass I have ever bought. The £25 Satellite I learnt on would be the cheapest. I did have a Hohner Arbor, which incidentally the SX reminds me of somewhat, and that was £110 but my folks bought me that one.

It easily compares to the MIJ foto-flame P which was my main bass for years. That was £250 in around '92.

In terms of pleasure per pound...this one's a winner all the way!

We also might be the only members of the Aerodyne/SX club.

P.

[quote name='paul h' post='120041' date='Jan 14 2008, 12:56 PM']Just ordered a tort pickguard and some extra screws from AxesRus.

That will make it sound even better.

P.[/quote]

Ah yes Chinese screws are a law unto themselves. Teh US/Eu ones will make it sound a lot better :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='120049' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:10 PM']Ah yes Chinese screws are a law unto themselves. Teh US/Eu ones will make it sound a lot better :)[/quote]

+1

I changed the screw ring on the jack socket on my SX and the sustain I get now is............well!!

I have also discovered a way to get a HUGE range of tones out of the bass.

My amplifier has all these knobs on it and moving them either clockwise or anti clockwise changes the sound. It's just like having a 5 band EQ.

There also seems to be some kind of time travel function invloved. If I turn the knobs on the right anti clockwise I can go back as far as the 50s. If I turn those knobs clockwise, but turn the middle knobs anticlockwise I can end up anywhere between the 70s and 90s.

I have tried turning the left hand knobs anticlockwise but that was just pathetic.

p.

[quote name='paul h' post='120096' date='Jan 14 2008, 02:08 PM']I have also discovered a way to get a HUGE range of tones out of the bass.

My amplifier has all these knobs on it and moving them either clockwise or anti clockwise changes the sound. It's just like having a 5 band EQ.

There also seems to be some kind of time travel function invloved. If I turn the knobs on the right anti clockwise I can go back as far as the 50s. If I turn those knobs clockwise, but turn the middle knobs anticlockwise I can end up anywhere between the 70s and 90s.

I have tried turning the left hand knobs anticlockwise but that was just pathetic.

p.[/quote]

Not found any uppy/downy bits yet then?

It's the one that gets the most use.

It's my own fault. I had a serious GAS attack and got rid of my Markbass/Aguilar rig. Now I get angry when I have to use the knobs at all. Pre-Ashdown all my basses sounded great with everything set flat. Now I have to twiddle for ages to get something half decent.

It does seem to suit this SX though. It's sounding better through the A**down than my Aerodyne!

p.

[quote name='paul h' post='120112' date='Jan 14 2008, 02:34 PM']It's the one that gets the most use.

It's my own fault. I had a serious GAS attack and got rid of my Markbass/Aguilar rig. Now I get angry when I have to use the knobs at all. Pre-Ashdown all my basses sounded great with everything set flat. Now I have to twiddle for ages to get something half decent.

It does seem to suit this SX though. It's sounding better through the A**down than my Aerodyne!

p.[/quote]

Ha ha yeah I found that the less exotic the bass the better it sounds through Ash/TE type stuff ..
Maybe you need a Warwick combo :)

[quote name='paul h' post='120548' date='Jan 15 2008, 12:44 AM']All over.

It must be their idea of a vintage look. It doesn't really work.

I don't really care, it plays beautifully and sounds pretty good to me. But I am hoping the tort guard might tone it down a little bit.[/quote]

Hummmm
perhaps it will mellow with age :)

I hearby acknowledge that the TORT is the true path and I renounce all others.

Even if I did nark it up a bit with the dremmel! The AxesRus plate was a rubbish fit! 4mm off the neck pocket (and a lump out of the treble side...oops!) The holes for the pickup screw mounting thingys was way too small, and I had to force it round somewhat to cover the control rout.

Now it's on, I don't care about all that...it looks very SX'y! (sexy...get it?)

[attachment=4925:DSCF0438.JPG]

[quote name='paul h' post='121378' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:42 AM']I hearby acknowledge that the TORT is the true path and I renounce all others.

Even if I did nark it up a bit with the dremmel! The AxesRus plate was a rubbish fit! 4mm off the neck pocket (and a lump out of the treble side...oops!) The holes for the pickup screw mounting thingys was way too small, and I had to force it round somewhat to cover the control rout.

Now it's on, I don't care about all that...it looks very SX'y! (sexy...get it?)

[attachment=4925:DSCF0438.JPG][/quote]

Indeed!

Lovely..
The David Dickinson of P basses :)

There's a left handed black SX P on eBay for 90 quid BIN ......