Why become a member? ×

tone and hearing issues

gicut58

[quote name='gicut58' post='1046011' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:21 AM']This is all so cool - constructive critique requested, and boy did I get it!
thanks for all your help peeps, plenty to chew on! :)

G[/quote]
Precisely. When it comes right down to it, you're the one who has to make the decisions on your sound, but when you get a lot of opinions from folk who play the same instrument as yourself, it can give you a starting point that you may not have seen, being too close to the problem in the first place. Good luck! :)

As others have said, maybe you should concentrate more on the total sound of the band. You mention a guitar and drummer, so I am assuming that you have just one guitarist. If that is the case, the bass player should also be filling the middle ground that keeps the band sound full while the guitarist is doing the pyrotechnic stuff.

On the whole, my personal preference is to keep the full bass but also add full treble - not flat, but boosted - and take out the mid to give the traditional V-shaped equalisation often used on PA. I find that works really well through my setup of an 18" sub for the depth and 4x10 with horn for the high mids and top. I have found that this gives deep bass but with penetration and clarity - all necessary to give the band a punchy sound.

Woolly, all bass actually does no-one any favours for your line-up and playing rock.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1045881' date='Dec 3 2010, 01:08 AM']IMO part of being a bassist is being versatile to suite the needs of the band and IMO (and I know other will agree) this particular bass sound doesn't sit well with the rest of the mix. it's not about cutting in on someone elses sound, you should be all able to sit well in a "mix" where as right now it feels go me you guys are separating. Your EQ choice would be good in a reggae format but for from what I'm getting from the vids it's not so hot for driving rock.

Cliff Williams, I would say there isn't a lot of treble in his overall sound but he has enough mids to cut in and be heard while still anchoring the guitar.[/quote]

Of course I agree - but there's a lot of difference between a rich, well defined tone that emphasizes the low end and keeps out of the high and upper mids but I would add that as a bassist you don't have to have one sound that you use all night - you should be allowed and able to adjust this for each tune you play - but yes being mindful of what sounds best for any given style is very important too.