Why become a member? ×

70's Jazz "clunking" when slapped

countjodius

Hey all,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on a problem that has surfaced with my beloved 73 jazz!

It's hard to describe, but when slapping the E string I'm getting this really loud "clunk" (not all of the time, only when I dig in a lot) and have no idea what could be causing it! It doesn't cause a volume clip when recording, just a really abrasive thump. The only thing I can think of is that the string might be impacting with the pickups or something, although they are not set particularly high. I wouldn't want to mess about with the pup height either as the fingerstyle tone/output is spot on! It's definitely not a technique issue either, and has only surfaced in the last month or so!

I've attached a wee sound clip so you can hear what I mean- notice how it is only the more rigorous slaps that cause this to happen!

Thanks for any info!

[quote name='countjodius' post='1041562' date='Nov 29 2010, 07:55 PM']Hey all,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on a problem that has surfaced with my beloved 73 jazz!

It's hard to describe, but when slapping the E string I'm getting this really loud "clunk" (not all of the time, only when I dig in a lot) and have no idea what could be causing it! It doesn't cause a volume clip when recording, just a really abrasive thump. The only thing I can think of is that the string might be impacting with the pickups or something, although they are not set particularly high. I wouldn't want to mess about with the pup height either as the fingerstyle tone/output is spot on! It's definitely not a technique issue either, and has only surfaced in the last month or so!

I've attached a wee sound clip so you can hear what I mean- notice how it is only the more rigorous slaps that cause this to happen!

Thanks for any info![/quote]

Sounds to me like it is indeed hitting the pickup. Assuming you slap between the neck heel and the neck pickup, try using the bridge pickup alone just to see if it goes away and also gently push the string against the pole-piece of the neck pickup to see if it gives the same kind of noise. You could try putting some insulating tape over the pole-pieces. Does tapping the pickup just with your finger also produce a noise? In that case, your pickup is microphonic. Whether potting a vintage pickup is a good idea from the point of view of value, I don't know.

Without listening I would be confident it is indeed strings hitting the pole pieces. However why it's only happened recently is a mystery unless you have swapped to lighter gauge or lower tension strings.

It is possible, although not necessarily advisable on a 73, to knock the pole pieces through the pickup so they are flush with the cover. Obviously have a look at the underside of the pickups first to make sure they are unimpeded. Although that is probably only the case with ceramic pickups.

If you do go that route you will probably have to raise the pickup slightly to keep the pole piece at your preferred difference from the string.

Alternatively as has been mentioned...electrical tape!

Thanks for the replies.

Don't know why I never though of soloing each pick up- right enough the neck pup seems to be the offender, even though it is set pretty low! Some insulating tape over the pups did help a bit, thankfully they're not microphonic.

So would I be looking at getting some closed pickup covers to solve this (as fetching as the insulating tape is :))? Do these affect the tone at all?

[quote name='countjodius' post='1041690' date='Nov 29 2010, 09:54 PM']So would I be looking at getting some closed pickup covers to solve this (as fetching as the insulating tape is :))? Do these affect the tone at all?[/quote]

They won't affect tone, no. They might get in the way a bit for certain playing styles if you don't want the pole pieces sitting any further from the strings since that'll raise the effective height of the pickups. One thing you could try is putting the electrical tape straight onto the uncovered pickup and then mounting the cover on after, if it'll squeeze into place? If not you could get some replacement covers and just enlarge the holes slightly on those, with a bit of wet'n'dry wrapped round something like a chopstick (I've done this before to make some aftermarket covers fit)! Should look a lot neater. But keep the originals covers as they are or it'll devalue the bass.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='countjodius' post='1041690' date='Nov 29 2010, 09:54 PM']Thanks for the replies.

Don't know why I never though of soloing each pick up- right enough the neck pup seems to be the offender, even though it is set pretty low! Some insulating tape over the pups did help a bit, thankfully they're not microphonic.

So would I be looking at getting some closed pickup covers to solve this (as fetching as the insulating tape is :lol:)? Do these affect the tone at all?[/quote]

I had a similar issue once. Instead of tape I used nail varnish. Easy, it does teh job, and it doesn't change the look. You may need to reapply it after some time, but it's an easy job.
I applyed several coats, using the Rimmel 60-second type, colourless. Or you can buy black, silver, metallic purple... :)

Hmmm, I never thought I'd be giving nail varnish tips here :)