Why become a member? ×

Ned Callan beaten up (1970's)

Happy Jack

One thing a broken leg and an operation do for you ... they certainly make you re-think your priorities. :)

An unexpected side-effect of my rather unfortunate last two weeks is that I've decided I really need to re-structure my collection of basses, perhaps into something that's less of a "collection" and more a few basses that I play all the time.

So I'm launching half-a-dozen 'For Sale' topics today. I'm quoting a price in each case, but if you think it appropriate then feel free to make me an offer. The worst that can happen is that I'll tell you that you can f*** right off, mate. :)

As if ...

Anyway.

[attachment=64937:CIMG0356.JPG]

This is a VERY beaten up example of Peter Cook's work from the 70's. The pickup is not original, and is a neck pickup in the 'sweet spot' position so the pole pieces don't line up too well, but it sounds well enough.

The top has been re-fin'd by having a completely new veneer glued on. Quite a nice job, but done long enough go that you can see the "crop marks" where the original pickup used to be.

Plenty more pics at [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2i2wn/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2i2wn/3[/url]

This is a functional 4-string bass, strung BEAD at the moment. It will never be a thing of beauty and it is certainly beyond restoration. It's being sold 'as is' and should be bought in the same spirit.

This can be yours for just [size=3][b]£100[/b][/size].

Best option would be collection from Chiswick. Second best would be collection from the West End.

Edited by Happy Jack

Neck is OK, slightly banana'd but perfectly playable, especially with the heavier gauge strings on. The banana would probably be more noticeable with lighter strings.

The trussrod works, but is really very stiff.

I play 90% fingerstyle, 10% with a pick, 0% slap & tap. As currently set up, this bass works best with a pick but is perfectly playable fingerstyle so long as you have reasonably strong L/H fingers.

A better set-up merchant than me (not difficult!) would obviously be able to improve matters, but for such a cheap bass there seems little point in paying a luthier to tweak it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1037431' date='Nov 26 2010, 09:24 AM']Neck is OK, slightly banana'd but perfectly playable, especially with the heavier gauge strings on. The banana would probably be more noticeable with lighter strings.

The trussrod works, but is really very stiff.

I play 90% fingerstyle, 10% with a pick, 0% slap & tap. As currently set up, this bass works best with a pick but is perfectly playable fingerstyle so long as you have reasonably strong L/H fingers.

A better set-up merchant than me (not difficult!) would obviously be able to improve matters, but for such a cheap bass there seems little point in paying a luthier to tweak it.[/quote]

The neck on mine is also banana'd, but still playable. Indeed putting heavy gauge on helped both feel and tone, compared to the wimpy rotosound flats i had on earlier.

Is that a Dimarzio model one pickup you got there? Do I see a switch for coil tapping or something in there as well?

Not coming to london anytime soon, so best luck with your sale. If I ever happen to come daan saaf and you still have it, I may just take it :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1037472' date='Nov 26 2010, 10:00 AM']Dunno about the Dimarzio - I just assumed it was a generic Mudbucker. Yup, it's a coiltap switch.

You can't help thinking that this must have been a rather nice bass once ...[/quote]

If mine is anything to go by, it is nice but quirky in many respects. You either love it or hate it.
In general, it defies expectations. It sits in an unusual position, making your left arm stretch out a bit to reach the first few frets. The profile and size of the neck is also quite different from your average fender offering, bigger and thicker, but not uncomfortable for me. It surely will raise some questions at a gig :)

[quote name='kirk' post='1038056' date='Nov 26 2010, 05:57 PM']That's a cool bass! Sorry for the tangent, but what gauge string do you use to tune to B?[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea!

They were leftover strings from another 5-string which I switched to flats. The rounds I took off were in good nick, so I hung on to them ... you know how it is.