Why become a member? ×

Stentor 3/4 double bass GONE GONE GONE

Stompbox

[attachment=64582:Double_Bass_001.jpg][attachment=64588:Double_Bass_005.jpg]

Well here’s my Stentor ¾ double bass for sale – it has a solid carved spruce top and laminated back & sides - the fingerboard is an "ebonised" stained/painted on finish – not ebony.

I’ve agonised about selling this but I really don’t use it enough to warrant keeping it plus it’s a large item to have standing about in the house (and I’ll use the money to try an upright electric instead!)

I got the bass about a year or so ago for about £600, and I had various jobs done to it & extras fitted, so I think it is a really nice playable instrument.

I got the nut re-cut to reduce the height of it to make the bass easier to play in the first position and to improve the string spacing, and had a new adjustable bridge fitted.

The next thing was to get the strings changed to a really good set – these are Innovation 90140 Ultra Black nylon flatwounds – they have a big, mellow sound.

Last I got a piezo pickup – it’s a SixRounds “Double Barrel” one from the States & the two transducers fit into the bridge slots. The output socket is mounted in a rubber lined aluminium holder that grips on to the strings below the bridge.

The work & the extras cost about another £250 (Bridge £35, Strings £75, Pickup £50, plus labour charges), so I reckon that £600 would be a fair price. It comes with a nice big padded Stentor gig bag, a decent bow, the original flatwound steel strings, rosin and I’ll throw in a clip on digital tuner.

The bass is in good condition – there are a couple of small marks on the front which I have tried to show in the pictures and a little wear around the edges.

I’m up here in sunny Morecambe, near Lancaster - cash on collection please, or I could deliver it within reason by arrangement. You’re welcome to come up & have a play on it.

Edited by Stompbox

• 3 weeks later...