Why become a member? ×

Squier P tuner upgrade

Cygnus x-1

Hope somebody can advise, a friend of mine has bought a Squier presision, not sure if its a VM or CV, second hand and the tuners are damaged (I think it had fallen over as one is missing) and the 3 are not working particually well.

He asked me if he should replace them with a set from ebay that are about £16 or go for an upgrade i.e. slightly better set. Now I have a fretless VMJ and to me the stock tuners work fine,..... so would the ebay set be ok for his precision or would an upgrade be better, if the latter what should he be looking at? I don't think he'll want to spend a fortune as the bass cost him £140. thanks Nick.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1029997' date='Nov 19 2010, 06:25 PM']Hope somebody can advise, a friend of mine has bought a Squier presision, not sure if its a VM or CV, second hand and the tuners are damaged (I think it had fallen over as one is missing) and the 3 are not working particually well.

He asked me if he should replace them with a set from ebay that are about £16 or go for an upgrade i.e. slightly better set. Now I have a fretless VMJ and to me the stock tuners work fine,..... so would the ebay set be ok for his precision or would an upgrade be better, if the latter what should he be looking at? I don't think he'll want to spend a fortune as the bass cost him £140. thanks Nick.[/quote]

The set might be fine, but tuners come in different shapes, and the shape of the base of his particular tuners will need to be matched to the replacement set. You can probably find a match on the internet just by typing in all the relevent information; then check the design and get a match.

Screw patterns and bobbin diameters are really the only concern I believe.
[b]
edit:[/b] [i]the 'handedness' is important too - if they are for a lefty or righty headstock. [/i]

If you find a set that are the right shape - aesthetically - and the chrome is shiny - then just measure the diameter of the bobbin where the string winds on and check the screw positions.

There MAY be some bushings in the head now for the machines - but they too can be changed or removed as necessary.

All in all - it's not a hard thing to do unless you need to bore out the existing holes for larger. That can get messy to someone without the proper tools.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I have a squier Jazz that I have upgraded the pegs to the full size open back type that had to have the larger holes drilled out but it really is worth it IMO as I also have the Squier P and it wont hold in tune if played with vigour for long at all (they will also be swapped soon). If someone can enlarge the holes for you I would do the swap at the same time its not hard and wont cost any more cash. Mine are just ebay ones and they are just as good as the ones on my EB Musicman now, Job done :)

Get the Wilkinson set. They are vintage style with the long tunning key and stay in tune better than some expensive sets I have had. I have em on a P and my VMJ. The best thing about them is they are 24 quid for 4!!!

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassMachine.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassMachine.html[/url]

It`s the ones at the top of the page.

Jez

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1030239' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:02 AM']I have a squier Jazz that I have upgraded the pegs to the full size open back type that had to have the larger holes drilled out but it really is worth it IMO as I also have the Squier P and it wont hold in tune if played with vigour for long at all (they will also be swapped soon). If someone can enlarge the holes for you I would do the swap at the same time its not hard and wont cost any more cash. [b]Mine are just ebay ones and they are just as good as the ones on my EB Musicman now, Job done :)[/quote][/b]

........do you have a link please or a seller name, cheers.