Why become a member? ×

1979 Fender Precision re-Mojo'd

Cat Burrito

Truckstop,
if you use Nitromors,please remember to 'neutralize'it once you have stripped it off.This means wipping the body with either white spirit or water.If you don't,the chemical residue in the body will prevent any finish you apply from taking to the wood.
Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs.

I've noticed as well that when using Nitro mors there is a window of time after application where the paint is very easy to strip, usually 10 mins or so, and after this point it can start to harden again and require a bit more effort. I've never stripped a bass with it though, a few cars and my woodworm infested staircase.

Use gloves, it can tickle a bit

Well, I tried it last night and it appeared to not work. The can said to wait 40 minutes before doing anything, so maybe it hardened again?
It did, however, soften the lacquer considerably, so I rinsed the nitro mors off with a cold shower and managed to sand most of the lacquer off leaving the primer underneath (after an hour or two!). I'll attack it with nitro mors again later and hopefully i'll get the timing right and it'll all come off nice and easy.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

Truckstop

So, the Nitro Mors didnt work. What a nightmare! I tried everything but I just could not get the paint off the sodding thing.
So, I chipped all the paint off by hand and then sanded the chisel marks out of the wood. It took a while (I don't own any power tools)!
Finished with a few coats of Danish Oil all buffed up and now I have a lovely looking Jazz. Needs a white pick guard though.
I'll do a 're-finishing' thread when it's finished properly.

Cheers again for eveybodys suggestions

Truckstop