Why become a member? ×

Strings for arco on NS EUB?

philw

All,

I know there's been a thread on replacement strings for the NS EUB in the past, but my question is specific to playing with a bow. The standard fit strings, along with being very bright, don't take to a bow particularly well (it's all too easy to get nothing but a nasty scraping sound, even with an ok technique and bow). So does anybody have a suggestion for replacement strings that are particularly good for arco (as well as being less bright generally)? Don't have a mag pickup on my CR4 so don't need to worry about metal cores/windings.

Phil

[quote name='walbassist' post='1027156' date='Nov 17 2010, 06:26 PM']Hi Phil

Presumably you want something that is good for arco [u]and[/u] pizz? Depending on what tension you like, perhaps something by Innovation would be a cost effective experiment, like their Honeys or Super Silvers?

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]

Gareth,

Yes, it has to do pizz, but I'd happily compromise the pizz sound for a better arco sound. I'd like something with higher tension than the standard strings too.

Phil

Cheap suggestions to try first:
Clean the strings with meths (on a rag) and perhaps some stickier (softer) rosin.
You've mentioned the quality of bow, but not that of the hair... I presume it's OK and "holds" rosin? (I find particularly if a bow's been stored, or barely used, the rosin just won't take afterwards)
As for strings, how about Spirocores? High tension, clean sound, do pizz well, steel core in case you get the urge to retrofit a mag pickup, and they'll respond straight away under the bow on my EUB.