Why become a member? ×

dedsa

Lemming16

Is the bridge or saddles set so the action's as low as it'll go?

If you can (or have someone that can help) hold down the 1st and 13th fret, then try tapping at the 7th fret, there should be enough of a gap that you can hear the click of the string hitting the fret, but not much more. I think it's normal to have a gap of roughly credit card thickness. If it's more than that (or there is no gap, but I doubt that'll be the case from what you've said), you might need the truss rod adjusting. Try it on the E and G strings, the gap should be the same on both.

It sounds like your tech is setting it up, then as the truss rod settles in (as they need to for a while after a proper set-up) it's settling with a little more bow than it was set up with. It shouldn't be a problem in the long run (as long as there's no issue with the neck). It might be worth leaving it with a guitar tech for a week or two so they can take a look at it every couple of days and keep tweaking it until it's settled in the right position.

Are you just worrying about the look of the action? because if it feels comfortable, easy to play (without straining your fingers too much) and there is very little to no fret buzz then i think you should be fine :) or is this just you trying to find a credible reason for unleashing your GAS and buying a Fanndec :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024226' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:33 PM']Are you just worrying about the look of the action? because if it feels comfortable, easy to play (without straining your fingers too much) and there is very little to no fret buzz then i think you should be fine :) or is this just you trying to find a credible reason for unleashing your GAS and buying a Fanndec :)[/quote]

Lol, well, i just started so i'm not sure of what is the normal strain. I just wanted to know if the bass was in good condition. If the bass is working fine, i'm getting a Pod X3, if not, i'll get the Fanndec (selling the Aria).

[quote name='Lemming16' post='1024231' date='Nov 15 2010, 04:50 AM']Lol, well, i just started so i'm not sure of what is the normal strain. I just wanted to know if the bass was in good condition. If the bass is working fine, i'm getting a Pod X3, if not, i'll get the Fanndec (selling the Aria).[/quote]

well the only thing i can think of is going to a local music shop and trying a few basses out and seeing how the Aria compares :) if thats not possible, see if any of your friends have a bass you can have a quick noodle on, whatever you do have fun :)

I can't see a lot of detail on the pics as I'm looking via my phone. It looks like a thru-neck, so if the truss rod is set correctly & the bridge saddles are as low as they'll go, The option of getting more vertical travel in the saddles is not possible like it would be on a bolt-on by shimming the neck.

Has it been looked at by a qualified luthier or just someone in a shop who just knows how to do a very basic setup?