Why become a member? ×

Modification's to a Little Big Muff

Kaiu

Hey guys,

I am in the process of rackmounting all my gear. I have an axess-electronics midi pedal and control function switcher (http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/CFX4-Control-Function-Switcher-p-16136.html), which essentially operates four latching inputs (not sure of the technical language!). eg the tuning mute on my amp.

At the moment it controls my amp mute, and my Aguilar agro which is engaged by a latching footswitch.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was possible to remove the latching footswitch on my little big muff and Install a latching jack socket? so that the muff can be operated from a distance? if you get my drift!

If anyone has a better way of rackmounting a single pedal let me know, given that I already own a midi device that can control four latching devices.

I apologise for my lack of technical language!

ed

[quote name='Kaiu' post='116124' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:28 AM']Hey guys,

I am in the process of rackmounting all my gear. I have an axess-electronics midi pedal and control function switcher (http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/CFX4-Control-Function-Switcher-p-16136.html), which essentially operates four latching inputs (not sure of the technical language!). eg the tuning mute on my amp.

At the moment it controls my amp mute, and my Aguilar agro which is engaged by a latching footswitch.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was possible to remove the latching footswitch on my little big muff and Install a latching jack socket? so that the muff can be operated from a distance? if you get my drift!

If anyone has a better way of rackmounting a single pedal let me know, given that I already own a midi device that can control four latching devices.

I apologise for my lack of technical language!

ed[/quote]

Hi there, I can confirm by replacing the latching footswitch on the big muff and replacing it with a socket will work. Just run a standard guitar jack to jack from the newly installed socket on the big muff and run that to your CFX4. Remember to get the polarity right otherwise your may end up with an off pedal when the MIDI logic says that it is on. If you get it wrong, just switch the connectors on the socket within the Big Muff.

As an additional note, I have had success with controlling amps with those logical footswitches (e.g. footswitches with clever electronics gubbings in) in this manner. Just replace the switches with jacks, connect them up, and then you can control them from a switching unit such as a GCX, CFX4 etc.

Good luck... any problems, just give me a shout. As an aside thought, to prevent butchering your pedal, have you thought about getting a looper? Same theory - connect the Big Muff to the looper and then replace the switch on the looper with a socket and then connect that to your CFX4. It will do the same as before, but it means that you can remove the Big Muff from your signal path when not in use (as I seem to recall the Big Muff is not true bypass)

Strictly speaking, you should look at loopers such as the GCX, Switchblade, Axess GRX4 etc and patch the pedals connected in and out of the signal chain, but if you aren't running more than one pedal, it's probably not worth the added expense.

It's all good fun isn't it?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='116134' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:00 PM']Hi there, I can confirm by replacing the latching footswitch on the big muff and replacing it with a socket will work. Just run a standard guitar jack to jack from the newly installed socket on the big muff and run that to your CFX4. Remember to get the polarity right otherwise your may end up with an off pedal when the MIDI logic says that it is on. If you get it wrong, just switch the connectors on the socket within the Big Muff.

As an additional note, I have had success with controlling amps with those logical footswitches (e.g. footswitches with clever electronics gubbings in) in this manner. Just replace the switches with jacks, connect them up, and then you can control them from a switching unit such as a GCX, CFX4 etc.

Good luck... any problems, just give me a shout. As an aside thought, to prevent butchering your pedal, have you thought about getting a looper? Same theory - connect the Big Muff to the looper and then replace the switch on the looper with a socket and then connect that to your CFX4. It will do the same as before, but it means that you can remove the Big Muff from your signal path when not in use (as I seem to recall the Big Muff is not true bypass)

Strictly speaking, you should look at loopers such as the GCX, Switchblade, Axess GRX4 etc and patch the pedals connected in and out of the signal chain, but if you aren't running more than one pedal, it's probably not worth the added expense.

It's all good fun isn't it?[/quote]

THANKS!
Modding a looper sounds like a much better idea, however i have very little experience In things such as this. I know someone who can do the soldering, I was just wondering if you knew of a decent looper to mod? I would get the GRX4 (and not bother with mod's) but as you say I'm not sure it's worth it with one pedal.

I think I'm on a slippery slope though... once you start messing with things like this I can see my gear getting infinately more complicated!