Why become a member? ×

How should I play a descending chromatic run?

Gazza 2905

I've been struggling with this for a while now, & I'd welcome any advice on this one please.
Basically, I'm not sure how to play a descending chromatic run correctly.

Now, I know that when I play an[i] ascending [/i]chromatic run I can play the first note with my index finger,
then place the remaining fingers onto the fretboard in sequence, as I play the other notes, & end up with
all my fingers touching the fretboard at the same time.

But, when I play a descending chromatic run; for example, if I play 7th fret, then 6th fret, then 5th fret on the A string,
should I try to do the reverse of this? In other words, place, in this case, 3 fingers onto the fretboard simultaneously,
then lift them off one at a time as I play the relevant notes?

Although I find this difficult, if I don't do it this way, when I play the first note (with my third finger), I tend to end up
with the index finger, & others, flapping & hanging away from the fretboard; & that looks awkward & messy!

Over analysing probably, I know, :) but any technical advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gary.

Start off with all four fingers on the board and lift them off one at a time, starting with the pinky.

This guy kinda demonstrates it:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOIDkgmdCU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOIDkgmdCU[/url]

Also Jaco Pastorius' Electric Bass lesson 1 (or example 1) covers this quite well.

Good luck.

[quote name='Gazza 2905' post='1020718' date='Nov 11 2010, 09:33 PM']But, when I play a descending chromatic run; for example, if I play 7th fret, then 6th fret, then 5th fret on the A string,
should I try to do the reverse of this? In other words, place, in this case, 3 fingers onto the fretboard simultaneously,
then lift them off one at a time as I play the relevant notes?[/quote]

That's what I do.

A simple exercise is to play chromatically C,C#,D,D# (or wherever you like),so you start with your index finger and place each
finger down in succession(assuming you are playing finger-per-fret),so when you play D# all four fingers are down. To descend,
simply take off each finger until you are back to playing C with your index finger.

That's it.

[quote]A simple exercise is to play chromatically C,C#,D,D# (or wherever you like),so you start with your index finger and place each
finger down in succession(assuming you are playing finger-per-fret),so when you play D# all four fingers are down. To descend,
simply take off each finger until you are back to playing C with your index finger.[/quote]

Yes, like so many others I've practiced that particular exercise, going up chromatically, - then back down again.
It's just that I struggle a bit when I try to go straight to a descending chromatic run, from say, a riff, or something where my fingers are not
already 'in position', so to speak.

Thanks for the advice though guys, I'll keep practicing!