Why become a member? ×

Any love for Laney RB9 heads?

Big Mick

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1020579' date='Nov 11 2010, 07:26 PM']Looking for a cheapish head (but not cheap sounding or unreliable) what should I be seeking out as a used choice?

Cheers, Mick. :)[/quote]

There are a fair few Hartke users on here, what about one of those?
I used one until a little while back and although it wasn't super posh it coped pretty well.

I usually get ignored when I suggest Laney RB9's in 'which head for a first head' threads in favour of someone who says peavey or hartke. I have tried the hartke LH head and to my ears I much prefer the Laney. It's a head that is capable of just putting out what you put in or if you use the EQ right, absolutly transforming your tone.

EDIT: Here is what a local reviewer had to say about my tone on my band's new EP "The deliciously produced bass sound has both the snapping tanginess and the warm smarminess needed for the different dynamics of the song.". I used the RB9 when recording it :)

Edited by allihts

[quote name='allihts' post='1022219' date='Nov 13 2010, 10:01 AM']I usually get ignored when I suggest Laney RB9's in 'which head for a first head' threads in favour of someone who says peavey or hartke. I have tried the hartke LH head and to my ears I much prefer the Laney. It's a head that is capable of just putting out what you put in or if you use the EQ right, absolutly transforming your tone.

EDIT: Here is what a local reviewer had to say about my tone on my band's new EP "The deliciously produced bass sound has both the snapping tanginess and the warm smarminess needed for the different dynamics of the song.". I used the RB9 when recording it :)[/quote]

I've not tried one so I couldn't, with my hand on my heart, recommend someone spend their cash on one.
MarkBass users will recommend MarkBass, Peavey users will recommend Peavey and someone with a 50 year old Selmer will recommend tracking one of those down - it's the way of the world. :)
The last Laney I tried was back in the 80's and, compared to other budget brands like Ohm, it was really not too good.
However, the 80's were 30 years ago now so things have more than likely changed quite a bit.
The next time I see an RB9 I'll try it out and see how it does.
Fair? :lol:

Edited by icastle

i played a gig where there was 4 bands on, i was the only one that didnt use the rb9 - but i can honestly say it sounded nice for the others - there was a blues band, a strokes esque band and an all out metal band - hows that for variety!

pretty small too compared to the shallow rack system i was using!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1023156' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:03 AM']i played a gig where there was 4 bands on, i was the only one that didnt use the rb9 - but i can honestly say it sounded nice for the others - there was a blues band, a strokes esque band and an all out metal band - hows that for variety!

pretty small too compared to the shallow rack system i was using![/quote]

Cheers for the replies guys.
I just want something reliable that sounds good and can do warm and full as well as more modern sounds without breaking the bank. I also don't want to waste my money on something that can't do the job.

Cheers, Mick. :)