Why become a member? ×

C minor 6th

KERMITNT

Hey guys I have a question maybe is silly but please let me unsolved this mystery.

C minor is consisted from C D Eb F G Gb B C so the minor6th triad should be C Eb Gb isn’t it ? Why I see the A to the minor 6th triad so is C Eb G A ? I don’t get it!!! Is it because of the intervals?

Thnx the frog :)

Edited by KERMITNT

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='1013543' date='Nov 5 2010, 05:47 PM']Hey guys I have a question maybe is silly but please let me unsolved this mystery.

C minor is consisted from C D Eb F G Gb B C so the minor6th triad should be C Eb Gb isn’t it ? Why I see the A to the minor 6th triad so is C Eb A ? I don’t get it!!! Is it because of the intervals?

Thnx the frog :)[/quote]

Your spelling of the scale is incorrect: C melodic minor is:

C D Eb F G A B C

Which would be consistent with the chord you describe. You could also include the 5th, i.e. C Eb G A

Jennifer

Off the top of my head what you're describing - C Eb Gb, is a diminshed triad from C diminished scale C,D,Eb,F,Gb,Ab,A,B - Add the A and you get C7diminished. C6 minor will be the C minor triad with the sixth note of the scale added on top - C,Eb,G,A. Hope that helps

Edited by SaxxyBass

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1013771' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:32 PM']jeez,

enough of the nomenclature.

if it sounds/feels good, play it.

if it don't, then don't.

whatstheproblem ? :lol:[/quote]

True! but I'm a jazz Saxophonist - I have to know these things! :) (not sure I remember it while I'm playing though :) )